Has anyone compared the EMT 139st phonostage to others ?

Hi,
I am currently using the EMT HSD-006 cartridge. I am looking for a good tube phonostage to go with it. The first choice is of course their own EMT 139st phonostage. The EMT engineers Dusch and J.P Vanvliet have launched a "remanufactured" version of this phonostage. It is an exact replica with modern parts. Costs around Euro 5k. Before I spend that kind of money I want to get some feedback about this phonostage. Has anyone heard it or compared it to other phonostages ? How is it ?
pani
@pani 

I have not heard that EMT phono stage, but have heard many EMT cartridges and currently own a EMT JSD S75. Depending on your current phono stage you may want to consider an Auditorium 23 Hommage transformer, instead of a phono stage change. The A23 transformer made a great improvement in my analog system. Also of note EMT introduced their own SUT, but I have not heard it. 

https://www.emt-tontechnik.ch/files/productfile/Flyer-STX.pdf
Hello Jperry,
I already have a nicely matched SUT for my  EMT cartridge. But my phonostage is quite basic. I am particularly looking for a good tube stage. Apart from the EMT phono I may consider a good Conrad Johnson phonostage because my amplification is all CJ. Any suggestions ?
@pani 

Given that I haven't heard your system all I can really tell you is:

I like to use matched amplification as well, so I think the CJ phono is a good idea. I am currently using Luxman preamp and amps.

It would be hard to go wrong with an EMT phono stage.

The EMT I have sounds great through my Luxman preamp, so think it might be worthwhile to audition a Luxman phono stage. Not sure of the pricing for this in Europe.

Good luck with your search,

Best Regards,

Jim Perry
I also have the Luxman EQ-500 on my radar. But the EMT 139st is the first choice if I could get some feedback about it. Some times it just has a vintage charm for which people know and talk about a product. But I don't want to spend Euro 5k on a product for its vintage charm. It must sound like a $5k product too. Many of the EMT guys simply vouch for anything EMT. Even when there is a clear sonic compromise, it gets justified by these fanboys. I am no fanboy. I liked EMT cartridge for what it sounds like. It is indeed a super $2k cartridge. Is the phonostage also worth its asking value ?

Someone ?
I was curious so I looked at the information on their website and it appears you will need to own an EMT turntable or have a power supply built to use this phono preamp. See the notes quoted from the link below.

https://www.jpvanvliet.nl/139stb.html

Note 1: The 139st b can only be used in earlier EMT 927 and EMT 930 turntables with serial no's before 14725 with the necessary power supplies for the EMT 139st and EMT 139st b.

Note 2: Turntables with serial no's higher than 14725 can be upgraded with the new 139st b power supply upgrade kit to fulfil the possibility of using the 139st b in young EMT 927's and EMT 930's.
No, I already spoke to them. They do sell an additional PSU for Euro 1000 which makes this phonostage work with any turntable
Great news! You are a step ahead of me. I would be interested to hear your comments if you get the EMT phono stage.
The 139st is incredible.  I restored an EMT 927, and wanted to get the 139st for it but couldn’t find one.  I’ve heard it many times and it’s hypnotic it’s so good.

Even without the 139st, the EMT 927 was the best turntable I’ve ever heard.  I miss it.

Iif you can get a 139st, don’t ever part with it.  

There are remanufactured ones available (EMT 139St) plus more, i am sure will be good but no experience. i found like the link a bit by accident.

https://www.jpvanvliet.nl/5912.html
The EMT phonostages are rarely seen outside of the EMT turntables,  so that may be a challenge getting a true unbiased answer from a owner of these pieces.  I am in the process of having a original restored along with the 927.  So maybe I  can report back in a couple of months. 
pani,

I am a vintage guy, initially I used a mark levinson 25L phono stage.  In the late 80's I became a mark levinson fan, but eventually abandoned the brand and went back to vintage gear from the 60's & 70's.

The levinson is very very good.  I had a little noise in the left channel and sent it out for service, then just using my preamps built in phono stage, which I hadn't done in years.  At the time I was switching between my marantz 7 / Phase Linear 400 combo and my Sansui 9090DB.  The phono in the Sansui is remarkable its so good.

I have a client who has a EMT 930 with the 139st, and that preamp has a sonic character that is nuanced, dynamic, & smooth.  No matter what cartridge you're using, those traits come through in spades.  I wanted one, still kinda do.

I haven't heard any 139st clones or re-manufactured ones, so I can't comment on those.  I would imagine that if you can get one re-manufactured by EMT, then you should be golden.  It's a superb choice. 

Keep in mind, that the 139st when compared to my levinson 25L, is more laid back.  Initially you will think that you are missing something, until you realize everything is THERE... it's just that the presentation is so wonderfully smooth and articulate that it takes you back a little.  Hence my reference to it being hypnotic. 

@normansizemore how did you know the sound of 139st ? It must be integrated inside the 930 TT. Were you able to make any direct comparisons with external phonostages ?
The issue is, is it worth Euro 5k ? This includes an external PSU so that it can be used with other turntables outside EMT.
"The 139s are very sought after and fetch high prices, but sonically they do not compete with good modern tube designs. The EMT-133 / V-83 is the best, if the curve is modified to RIAA. A pair of mono 139As come second, then the 139st. Forget the 155s! The 153s and the Swiss Eymann are better, but still not worth the money. If you find a 927 or 930 with the tube EQ, then sell the EQ. If you find one with a 155 or 153, use the chassis to build your own phono preamp inside. I often used a simple Neumann design with modern parts and first-class Neumann MC transformers (which outperform all transformers I know of) or our own Phonogen design. With the EMT preamps, you can not even get close to how these tables perform."

Heiner Jakobi, "The EMT 927 and EMT 930 Turntables", in the now missing US magazine "Sound Practices", Volume 4, Issue 16, pages 17-22 (no date, may be in the second half of the 90s published).

Thanks @lbelchev , I have read that review already. The thing is, I have heard the EMT 938 and 950 with TSD-15 cartridge, EMT SUT and EMT 155st phonostage. One thing I can tell you, even the 155 phonostage, which is considered "basic" by EMT standards does a marvelous job of creating a very alive and dynamic presentation. It doesn't sound slow, veiled, low resolution or less dynamic in any manner compared to a good $5k phonostage. In fact it presents music with a lot of authority and grandeur. So I have some confidence that 139st can't be bad.   
From what has been said online, it's a very mixed bag.  Some owners love it and think it competes with some of the best out there and then the other side of the coin say it's not so good.   There are some opinions of the 139st in the big EMT 927 thread within this Audiogon analog forum. 
pain,
The 139st can be had as an out board phono stage, which is the case with my clients system.   I have seen photos of the 139st integrated with the EMT 927, but not in person.

Tom (my client), also has a small Bellari phono and a Rega, but I don’t recall the model.  So I have heard it against those as well as my recollection of my own Levinson phono preamp, which I did not compare on the same system.

N

Thanks @normansizemore .Those Rega and Bellari are of course not the best comparisons but still...thanks :-). I have written to some 927 and 930 owners asking for their feedback