Electronic crossover recommendations

I need some help finding the best electronic crossover. I am looking to experiment with going active to a few different speakers. I am going to use it on commercial speakers, and some DIY speakers. I need it to be able to be used on ANY 2 or 3 way speaker. Flexibility is really important. I am really looking for only top notch ones. I keep hearing that active is the way to go, so I thought I would give it a try. If you have used one or know of one, I would appreciate it if you can drop a line or two about it. thanks
For DIY experiments you need easy adjustment of crossover frequency and gains. Take a look at ART 310. See www.partsexpress.com item 245-880.
I've heard great things about the Bryston crossover. I've used an Audio Research unit with Maggies and it worked very well although if tapped or moved would send microphonics through your system.
Krell KBX

Expensive, and it requires two for a three way active setup. But, if you want the best, this is it.

Top Shelf crossovers......Bryston 10b is very good for the money and on par with the Krell.Neither of those compare to the original Mark Levinson LNP-1 and for the cost of a new car... the FM acoustics is in another league again.
A Rane AC-22, modified, new chips, caps, power supply and a bypass of some sections. New pots work well also. Less than 300$ if buy one used and it will go head to head with anything.

Rane will give you a start on improving the sound on thier web site.

Try a used one, try the mods on the web page, then you'll have perhaps 85-130 bucks in it, depends upon what you pay used. Truely a low cost investment, try it and you tell me.

So Mr. DIY, DIA---Do it again with the RANE.
I use the Marchand XM-9, and it is available as a two or three way design. It isn't the easyiest one to change frq with, but they may have another model that would allow you to change on the fly. I have been very pleased with their products, and their service is top notch.
Most have been mentioned but I will give you my take on it. The Marchand is a superb value. If you want lower cost then the RANE is very good. I purchased a Bryston and love the unit. I tried a Krell and did not care for it. It was rather noisy--the Bryston is dead quiet.
If you want flexibility and good sound the new Pass Labs unit is in the top class.
Find a Pioneer D-23 on the used market. Very flexible and convenient.
If you really want flexibility, you need a crossover that allows you to select any crossover point, with any slope, plus it should have the ability to deal with delays, phase and EQ for the individual drivers.

This probably means one of the new digital crossovers. Check out the DEQX unit at www.deqx.com, or one of the pro units such as the BSS Omnidrive or dbx Driverack.
I used to be a Marchand-aholic. Had three of them in various configurations at one time or another. However, you guys really NEED to check out the latest crop of digital speaker management devices from some of the pro audio guys. One of the best kept secrets in the high end. I'm using the DBX Drive Rack PA and would part with it only after my decomposed, turning to dust, dead hands could no longer hang onto it.

For $495, discounted you get a user selectable 2 or three way electronic x-over with independant adjustments of crossover frequency (and thus overlap), slope (6, 12, 18, 24 DB per octave), filter type, level, time delay, and parametric eq for EACH BANDPASS (!!). Not only that, but you can use an "auto EQ" function to independantly adjust each channel to flat or some other target curve at the listening seat....A poor mans TACT. On a comparison basis with the settings identical to my Marchands, I could detect little if any difference. The icing on the cake however is that using the auto EQ function for my prefered target curve, I'm hearing stuff I've NEVER heard before.

High end is fun once again.

Does anyone have anything to add about this recommendation that Jeff made for the DBX Drive Rack PA unit? I'm looking for something to replace the crossover that came with my Infinity RS-1bs... (for under $1000, and for under $500 if I can get it done).

This Stereophile article seems to describe part of the issue I have with the Infinity Unit:

Some of the new Behringer models have been getting talked about. Under $400, can function as a digital preamp, x-over and digital room eq. You can dial the thing in on your computer, and change EQ settings on the fly. The DIY crowd loves these things since they really help with x-over design.
Ok, I'll look into that Behringer line, along with the DBX line. Thx.

Will welcome further discussion of this. I have the feeling that I need to figure out the right one is before I buy, even though I don't think I can figure out the right one for sure without hooking it up. A lot of them seemed geared for hooking up a subwoofer to mains, and the crossover frequency is in that area, but that's not what I want.

From this page, I get my alleged crossover frequency(ies) although I question the accuracy:


I'm not sure if those are listing the frequencies that the outboard crossover unit does, or something that is done on some of the towers themselves (considering the number of drivers).

All I really want is something that will do a reasonable job of dividing up bass from treble. So, I need to know that general frequency. My infinity crossover unit, either due to disrepair or poor design, and probably additionally because it is not as simple to do this as I put it, seems to make that dividing up much much harder to attain than it needs to be.
If you are going to stay in the digital domain until you get to the speaker the Berhinger would be a great choice. If you are going analog into the crossover and into the amps the DBX is a much better choice; its DACs work damn well.

Then, there are even better units out there once you have proven the concept.
RIVES, what are you using your Bryston (10b?) crossover for? What speakers I mean?
I presume an all active attempt?