DAC for Rega Planet 2000

I have a Rega Planet 2000 and wonder what DAC would go best with it. I would like to pay about $500 or less used. I am looking for more dynamic range and better detail. I would like to tighten up the bass as well.

This all started when a friend loaned me his Meridian 508/24 which has incredible bass and detail, can I approach this sort of performance with the Rega?

thank you
128x128philjolet

Showing 3 responses by philjolet

thank you everybody, these are very helpful comments and I do not think I will pursue a DAC. I had never heard the Rega transport was not that good in fact I had been told I should replace it by someone. I am usually one to buy a better piece instead of trying to match (more) components.

I find more and more that matching components is EVERYTHING in a better stereo system and have no desire to add to that list with more wires and devices.

The Meridian was truly awesome when I heard it and I think I will hold out for one someday.
I meant:

I had never heard the Rega transport was not that good in fact I had been told I should buy a DAC by someone.
Natalie I was responding to Marakanetz comments above. He mentions that the good sound of the Rega comes from the very good DAC and not the transport which he feels is not as nice.

BTW thank you Phild for a very thoughtful reply that really opened my eyes. I think the points you made (power supply etc.)are logical and without doing the research myself I feel I can go by what you said. I will probably not get a DAC as that is my first inclination anyway also my post above explains ther rest.