DAC for Rega Planet 2000

I have a Rega Planet 2000 and wonder what DAC would go best with it. I would like to pay about $500 or less used. I am looking for more dynamic range and better detail. I would like to tighten up the bass as well.

This all started when a friend loaned me his Meridian 508/24 which has incredible bass and detail, can I approach this sort of performance with the Rega?

thank you
128x128philjolet
Hello,

I have a Rega Planet (the original) and I tried some simple remedies that made a difference. Before spending any big money on a DAC, try these:

1.) If your floor and cabinet are stable, try using tip toes that are high enough to support the Rega instead of relying on the factory sorbothane feet. Tip toes are essentially aluminum cones. Experiment using 3 or 4 tip toes.

2.) The Planet 2000 comes with a detachable AC power cord. Replace the factory one with a good one.

3.) Get an AudioPrism CD Blacklight for $40. It is a thin plastic disc that you expose to light for 30 seconds, then position on top of the music CD. The disc emits a green light and really helps improve the harmonics, openess, transparency and image focus. Most cost effective device.

Keep in mind the interconnect may have a significant effect.

Feel free to email me.

Aaron
thank you everybody, these are very helpful comments and I do not think I will pursue a DAC. I had never heard the Rega transport was not that good in fact I had been told I should replace it by someone. I am usually one to buy a better piece instead of trying to match (more) components.

I find more and more that matching components is EVERYTHING in a better stereo system and have no desire to add to that list with more wires and devices.

The Meridian was truly awesome when I heard it and I think I will hold out for one someday.
I meant:

I had never heard the Rega transport was not that good in fact I had been told I should buy a DAC by someone.
Philjolet, who ever told you that does not know of what he speaks. The 2000 is a very very good player at its price point and even 500/1000 above in lots of cases wont get you better.
A 500.00 DAC even A Bel CANTO that reatils for 1k + wont do it.