Coincident Frankenstein 300b Stereo Amp

Anyone have any experience with this amp? If so, what speakers are you using it with? I have never had a 300b SET and would like to try one. I am even considering additional speakers if needed for those 8 watts. Thank you for your time and consideration.

moofoo

Thx @lak. I tried to read all of the post by him and others on things Coincident and incorrectly thought I had, until I read the @paul_lindemann posts about this amplifier. I think I have the information for which I was looking. 

I have the Coincident Frankenstein 300b MkII, but they are not yet hooked up to my Volti Rival speakers which are 100db efficient. I choose the 300b tube because that’s the tube most seem found of. I choose the Coincident Frankenstein because of the many very positive reviews and it’s price point seems to be a sonic bargain (selling direct helps). I choose the Volti Rival because I wanted a neutral, linear, highly efficient speaker to use with fleas watt amps.

+1 @lak, ​​@charles1dad is a knowledgeable owner/user of the Coincident Frankenstein MkII. IIRC @charles1dad did not like the upgrade to MkIII, but I’m debating to get mine upgraded to mkIV.

Google "coincident frankenstein reviews"

@kennyc 

+1 @lak, ​​@charles1dad is a knowledgeable owner/user of the Coincident Frankenstein MkII. IIRC @charles1dad did not like the upgrade to MkIII, but I’m debating to get mine upgraded to mkIV.

Hi Kenny

I believe that you'll be quite pleased with your Frankenstein and Vollti pairing. I can't think of a single reason as to why this should not be a marvelous combination.  I do need to clarify something however, I have not had the opportunity to hear the MK III or IV Frankenstein models (Nor the new stereo version). So I'm can't offer any opinion of them.

I can't imagine either of the mono block models taking a step backwards from my MK II mono blocks.  Coincident does not do model upgrades that frequently. When they do it's usually For a good reason and subsequently an  improvement.

As I have stated  in the past,  I have owned  my MK II since bought new in August 2009. Upon the very 1st listening session I knew I had made the right choice.14 years later and  if anything I appreciate This amplifier even more so. It is a fabulous 300b SET.

As far as speakers are concerned reasonably high sensitivity is desirable. Equally if not more important is the speaker impedance characteristics. Higher is generally more advantageous along with a simpler crossover design. I'd seek out speakers that are designed with the intention of usage with SET amplifiers.

The Frank stereo amplifier has out performed my Wavelength Cardinal XS mono blocks, VAC PA160, and Wyetech Topaz.  Simply stupid good - correction, GREAT.

The Wyetech had the superior leading edge of the note and overall dynamics - until I switched out my Gold Lion 300Bs for the PSVANE Acme 300B which are more lush in the midrange and more extended overall - with dynamics and stage to die for. A 20% improvement at minimum!

Set up with the right speakers, cables, room, and associated gear is essential (as always)

Good luck.

Paul

@paul_lindemann 

That is quite the compliment given that list of very distinguished tube amplifiers. I will say that if any amplifier can exploit the higher sonic potential of the upper tier 300b tube it’s the Frankenstein. This SET amplifier deserves the best quality tubes one can afford. It’s good to read the Frankenstein has worked out so well for you.

Charles 

Hi Charles.

The Franks are exceptional amps....but the choice of speakers, Soliloquy 6.2 with its impedance curve is a perfect match - better than the match of the wavelengths for example.

Then speaker positioning, room tuning, trying out numerous power cables, interconnects, speaker cables, digital cables and of course tubes - the ACME's are great - and the TS brown base black glass are so musical and revealing!

I have spent much more - Wavelengths, Devore speakers, Elrod cabling - and have less organic, musicality because (I suspect) the sum of the parts were less complementary.

Cheers,

P

@paul_lindemann

Your post yesterday really caught my attention. When I had decided to explore the world of SET amplifiers the Wavelength and Wyetech (Also Viva) were very much under serious consideration. I do not doubt for a moment that I would have been very happy with the other esteemed SET alternatives. But once I chose the Frankensteins there was no looking backwards. I truly relate to your joy.😊

Charles

@moofoo I received my Frankenstein 300B stereo several days ago and I have the option of using Klipsch Forte IV, JBL 4319, or the Zu Audio Union 6 Supreme. All three of those speakers sound very good with the very well-built and sounding Coincident Frankenstein 300B Stereo Amp.

@lak thank you for the reply! I appreciate your time! I will need to get another pair of more efficient speakers if I get this amp so I have not ordered yet. I am considereing the Union 6s. Regardless I won’t be giving up the EgglestonWorks speakers. What 300b are you using? 

@lak by the way - you have some great looking equipment and that power/electrical setup! I am sure it all brings great musical enjoyment!

@moofoo I already had several pairs of 300B tubes that I use with my Allnic 1500 Integrated so I decided to use the Takatsuki TA-300B tubes. As you probably already know the 300B tubes are the only tubes that you have to supply with the Frankenstein since it comes equipped with the other necessary tubes. At paul_lindemann's suggestion, I have ordered two matching NOS NIB  TS BWN base, BLK glass tubes, and one Mullard GZ34 Blackburn 7-Notch Copper Lined Rectifier Tube 5AR4 to replace the tubes that came with the unit. Not necessary to upgrade but should make a nice improvement according to Paul.