Class A or AB amp for JBL S4700 speakers

Which should I go for and why? Brands I'm looking at are Accuphase, Pass Labs, and maybe McIntosh.
dave_72
I suspect you are suffering from Down syndrome?--Can't even pronounce/spell right.
Don't get all too psyched up---bad for health! LoL…

F. beginners usually brag like mr.knows-it-all, where in fact, they have a long lonngggg way of catching up to do… As they say ~ "Ignorance is Bliss".

Now, quit your imaginary "Superiority Complex" already.
Audio needs to be used as simple as possible. The best and
most convincing sound always will win. This is how I use it.

I hate inferior audio. The best way of getting ride of it is
to smash and beat these inferior products. Slissstech is a
brand I want out of the world of audio. In the Netherlands
many people think the same.

I have proven in many tests that they are inferior. This has
nothing to do with personal taste. They loose because they are
not good enough. And that is what it makes it simple!

When you visit people with the cables you sell you often see
that they have more different brands. To make it more easy you
explain all the different parts you judge a cable for. This
way you make clear why a cable is better.
What da' hell has Siltech got to do with this thread..??
Boy oh girl such animosity.. :)) They must've kicked you begging for dealership? hah!

You are sick. Take your meds and go back to your FANTASYLAND.
Ok I get it..
Bo1972, you are owner of Inferior Audio in Neitherlands. ;)
Brands you carry : Monitor Audio, Audioquest, Purist Audio, and what for electronics??
I really do feel sorry for those manufacturers that you happen to represent. If they don't switch you out quick, they are doomed for sure.
Hey Baffyman you are the F.idiot. People who give silly
answers on this thread I remember them that they use shit in
their own systems. That they should not been taken that
serious.

With your slissssstech cables you life in your fantasy audio
world!
Dave, sorry to make a train wreck out of your thread--my first time ever! ;p
Just thought you actually knew more than them smartasses and deserve better than all these BS advises--making out imaginary sound from reading/hazy past experiences without the need to actually listen/compare themselves. So sad.
No problem, Bvdiman, you know what the good stuff is just as much as anyone else. I value your opinions, especially about Accuphase. Anyway, I'll chat with you more on that *other* board we're on!
Simple answer Dave. Your brands are all fab!. Buy 10 or 12 times the power you think you will need for regular listening. Your headroom is then just satisfactory and, with some great power conditioning on your source and amp chain, you will rock. Enjoy.
Dave, FWIW, your speaker is fairly easy to drive with tube amplifiers. You might consider that- generally speaking, the extra smoothness offered by tubes will be helpful when driving that midrange horn at higher volume levels.
seems you may be tring to end this thread dave?, your speakers will jump with solid state world class audio!
Hee Dave, I bought a Pass Labs X350.5. I will receive it next week. I think I will buy a .8 series in 2015. I could get a very good deal, so I will keep this for some time. I will let you know about the outcome.
Hi Bo1972, what do you do with your past Pass labs amps?, do you sale them?, keep one or two?, do you have more than one system Bo?
thankyou Bo, do you ever sale any of the pass labs amps here on audiogon?, My buddy Dave_72 likly would give one a spinn?
Actually, I will be getting a demo of a Pass Labs amp for our audio club meetings. Since I am the President of the club, it'll be at my place and in my system! heh eh.
Dave_72, which model Pass Labs are going to listen To?, will you share your feed back to me?
I life in the Netherlands and Pass labs uses 220/240v in europe. You cannot buy an US amp. It would be nice and a lot cheaper. But Pass labs covers the distributers in europe.
I haven't made an announcement yet, Audiolabyrinth. You'll know pretty soon. There will be an article about the whole day up on our website.
There's no need for anybody to wait for any article. There's no "mystery" here. You will prefer the Pass to your Bryston. It's not that Pass Labs makes a great amp...it's just that it's good enough to outperform the Bryston.

You've got such good speakers, it's a shame you're wasting your time on such average electronics.
I think you are right, but it also depends about the speakers a person owns and how the stage is build.

Pass Labs builds a wider and deeper stage than any Bryston. I always say: without depth there is no highend sound.

The Pass has a much bigger pallet of colors in the mid freq. which need ot be there for the absolute sound.

When you have spakers which cannot build a deeo stage this part and advantage will not be there even if you use a Pass. I don't know this JBL speaker, so I cannot judge.

The better soundrealism also depends on the level and quality of a source and cables. It is not that easy to say!

Dave, sorry to make a train wreck out of your thread--my first time ever! ;p
Just thought you actually knew more than them smartasses and deserve better than all these BS advises--making out imaginary sound from reading/hazy past experiences without the need to actually listen/compare themselves. So sad.

Bvdiman, I am sure Dave agrees when I say that you have no reason to apologies. Those who have crossed paths with you on audiogon in the past know that you are a gentlemen. I have seen you more than once congratulating audiogoners (including me and Dave) for their humble equipment. Given the fact that you own top-of-the-line FM Acoustic and Accuphase products this says a lot about your manners and love for this hobby.

It is too sad that the audiogon moderators do nothing about Bo1972, i.e. Bobby Kingma from Sound & Vision Consulting. Not only is he trashing one thread after another by repeating the same things over and over again irrespectively of the topic discussed, but, more importantly, he is a dealer who shamelessly bashes the brands he does not sell and their owners. (For the record he does similar things also on the dutch sites, and seems equally illiterate and incoherent in his mother tongue.)
"For the record he does similar things also on the dutch sites, and seems equally illiterate and incoherent in his mother tongue.) "

Which dutch sites you F. idiot? I am on no dutch site. You are talking bullshit. So you are a big lyer. We are going to take a person with Avantgarde speakers serious....yeah you're right, are you F. kidding me?

People who tell lies should be banned from this website.

I have pasted below a link to a dutch review for Bose:

Bose review with Bo1972's comments

Bo1972’s comments can be found at the end of this review. Those interested to read (again) the usual preach of Bo1972 (i.e. Bobby Kingma) should just copy/paste them into Google Translate.

I let you judge how petty is a "high-end dealer/consultant" who feels the need to trash Bose on the main dutch high-end site.

With this I rest my case.
Hi NVP, pretty good, you handled this like a lawyer that just won a case that had all the odds against him, I hope I never get on your bad side, Happy Thanks giving to all on this thread.
Hi Kevin, allow me to explain; we (the audio club) will be evaluating the Pass Labs amp on its own merits. It's not gonna be a Pass Labs vs. Bryston shoot out. We could do that, but I agree with you, it's kind of pointless.

Yes, I realized this once I got the speakers. This is why I'll be upgrading early next year. To exactly what, I dunno. However, the brands I'm considering are Pass Labs, Luxman, Accuphase, and McIntosh; leaning heavily towards Accuphase at the moment.

I hope this clears things up!
This is not a forum. This is a commercial website. In the past you could react with your facebook acount( This is over 2 years ago). I have reacted on a Bose article. My words are not bassing, but telling the truth and it is based on facts. I sold Bose for a few years. We ( colleagues and I) found it in quality the worst product we sold. This has nothing to so with a personal preference. Bose uses plastic cabinets for there speakers. The units they use have a very small magnet. Like their subwoofers are poor in quality. Their small speakes all miss an important part in the mid freq. We tested things like this all the time. We compared it with others. Like I said many times; more than 90% in audio is not worth the money. And yes I hate inferior audio. Because it need to stop that people do not get a decent level of quality. And yes this is a hard way, but it is the most honest way possible.

It is a personal opinion, we live in a free world. When you think differently, speak free. And tell your own opinion.

My way of working is creating a higher level in endresult than any competitor. My competitors have cances to. So use them and show you can create a higher level. It is that simple!

Audio is all about comparing. This is the fun part, but on the other side audio is a personal matter. 3 dmensional sound is the most important part for highend audio. When you talk to people with expensive sets and people who sell highend audio they all agree. This has nothing to do with my personal taste. 3 dimensional sound is more exiting and confincing than 2 dimensional sound. These are things which are very easy to understand for people.
You should translate what I wrote. Clients and people who work in audio said that time that they all agree what I said.

When you write things which are based on facts it makes it a lot easier. That is why I always say: proof the opposite. I give my personal opinion. You can speak as well.

The world is hard and not honest. I am on a mission and I want audio to become more open and honest. I want people to get more quality, so you need to be hard on those brands which do not give customers a good quality.

When there are too many products which are better in quality for the same money, you have a worse product. It is that easy. I hope they will create better products for their customers. What is wrong to tell people the truth?

Hifi.nl is not a highend site. We don't have this in holland. It is a commericial website. The better audio shops in the Netherlands are not that happy with this website. For example ( facts agains) They test surround amps with 3 different kind of brands with speakers. There are many of these limitations how they work.

You need to focus on facts. When you work more precise people get a higher endresult.
Bo, I ask you kindly to stop derailing this thread. I see that your irritated, but take that up with Nvp, please. This is not the proper place for tirades...
I didn't start it, so please focus you on Nvp. He is the one who wrote this in your thread. Focus on the facts please! He is the one who is talking bullshit. He made the mistake!!
This is not the place for either of you to be fighting. Please refrain from doing so regardless if he "made the mistake" or not. Take that up with Nvp personally. This thread is not about you, Bo. It's about the right amp for my JBL speakers.
Hi Bo1972, your ok with me, I would let the NVP thing go and move on, you should E-mail NVP instead of wrecking this thread out would be a great idea!, cheers.
You read the shit as well, so I want things to be clear. He is the one who should send me a personal message. He F... up the thread. Just focus on the facts!!
I understand your position Bo1972,I believe you, no explanation needed anymore, your cleared up Bo, however, NVP is not crying here about anything, you are!, talk here all you like, just move on to what all of us have been talking about, NVP has said nothing more!, I enjoy what you have to say about the pass labs amps, Do you have something to say about your new amp yet?
I will receive it next week. I am also planning to become Lumin dealer. I will write a review soon about the new Audioquest Wel Signature. When I become Lumin dealer, I will do a review about the S1 soon.
Bo, I look forward to your impressions of your new Pass Labs amp, which model is it again?, may take you a while to come to conclusion's on the amp, burn-in would be likly be a fault, how long does The pass amps take to be broken-in?
I bought a X350.5, it is a few years old. Within a week it is ok. No long burn in period. :)
It is 2 times 4o Watt class A. This means you almost never will come to class B. Even with my X250.5, it only happens when I play at extreme levels. This has a lot more in class A.

I owned the XA 100.5/60.5 and 30.5 as well. The X series has a little more air in the high freq.

The X350.5 has more drive and control as well even at very low volume. I use Purist Audio Limited Edition powercables. They make the mid freq so much more musical than no other powercable can. I will receive it today :)
In other words, it is class AB.

Class A amplifiers are class A right to full output.
I first owned 3 XA amps and I thought I would prefer them. But when I bought the XA250.5 and the Purist Audio Limited Edition I chnaged my mind. Without the Purist Limited I would have thought differently. This one had such a big influence on the sound, stage, focus and articulation of voices.