Class A or AB amp for JBL S4700 speakers

Which should I go for and why? Brands I'm looking at are Accuphase, Pass Labs, and maybe McIntosh.
dave_72

Showing 29 responses by audiolabyrinth

Hi Dave72, I want you to go and audition the new Krell amplifiers, they would be a very good fit for your JBL speakers, not just any great sounding amp will work!, because of the Hz and Khz specs of your speakers, you need an amplifier that is NOT some wide band bright amplifier, you know, an amp that is 20hz to 100khz, no man, do not do that!, you need a great dynamic, 20hz to 20khz amp, your speakers are already detailed in sound, you need a little warmth, very deep bass slam, very good mids, and alot of air and some sparkle on the top end for an amplifier, this kind of sound will mate well with your JBL speakers, the new Krell amps fit the bill!
Dave, If you do not want to audition a older or newer Krell, Pass labs is a great choice, I would go with pure class A pass labs amps instead of the A/B amps, with the sensativity of your speakers, you could look into that 100 per channel class A amp that pass makes if you wanted to not spend your house morgage!, the class A amps pass labs makes are way more exspensive than their A/B amps, for a good reason!, stick to class A my friend, cheers.
I agree with Bo1972, A tube pre-amp is what I have always preferred myself with solid state, Dave, The only pre-amp in the world I know of that has treble and bass controls is Dan D Agostino's momentum solid state pre-amp, that my friend is beyound our bucket list, although the Dan D Agostino equipment is way beyound the pass-labs and krell with performance, A whole different league! It also comes with, what I call stupid money for pricing!, If I had the money, The Dan D Agostino master systems amplifiers is what I would have period, cheers.
Hi Dave, The TRL Dude pre-amp is a very big bang for the dollar if you value performance over features, the member grannyring has one and knows everything there is to know about this unit, I believe he may have tweaked his out as well to satiesfaction, cheers.
Dave_72, The Tube Research labatories pre-amp is one of the very BEST tube pre-amps for sound quality today!, made in the U.S.A.!, hand built, I said big bang for the dollar going against $20,000.00 pre-amps, ask anyone about one of these pre-amps, nothing but great feed back.
seems you may be tring to end this thread dave?, your speakers will jump with solid state world class audio!
I suppose pro reviews, absolute sound, stereophile, and many other publications and audiogon member feed back of any High-end means nothing!,and everything ever opinionated here on audiogon means nothing, really?, what I have said certainly has the bassis to audition the TrL dude pre-amp,cheers.
Thankyou Bo1972, that was my whole idea, does not matter if i listened to the product, I was only saying that the unit has good feed back from everywhere, just a bassis to try one out, nothing more, to dis-credit me for saying anything was dis-repectable!
Bo1972, you understand I was not talking about you!, rather the dis-respectable idiots that said the dumb f post above!
Bo1972, that's cool, I was agreeing with you with your post, thankyou, cheers Bo.
Hi Bo1972, what do you do with your past Pass labs amps?, do you sale them?, keep one or two?, do you have more than one system Bo?
thankyou Bo, do you ever sale any of the pass labs amps here on audiogon?, My buddy Dave_72 likly would give one a spinn?
Dave_72, which model Pass Labs are going to listen To?, will you share your feed back to me?
Hi NVP, pretty good, you handled this like a lawyer that just won a case that had all the odds against him, I hope I never get on your bad side, Happy Thanks giving to all on this thread.
Hi Bo1972, your ok with me, I would let the NVP thing go and move on, you should E-mail NVP instead of wrecking this thread out would be a great idea!, cheers.
I understand your position Bo1972,I believe you, no explanation needed anymore, your cleared up Bo, however, NVP is not crying here about anything, you are!, talk here all you like, just move on to what all of us have been talking about, NVP has said nothing more!, I enjoy what you have to say about the pass labs amps, Do you have something to say about your new amp yet?
Bo, I look forward to your impressions of your new Pass Labs amp, which model is it again?, may take you a while to come to conclusion's on the amp, burn-in would be likly be a fault, how long does The pass amps take to be broken-in?
I agree Ralph +1, Class A amplifiers are class A right to full output.
Atmasphere (Threads | Answers | This Thread)
Damn Dave_72, it's been a month, can you tranfer that info to this thread?, thank's.
Thank's dave72, I did not know the name of your audio club or where to find it if it were on another site.
Hi Dave72, are those JBL speakers?, they sure look like them, anyway, which person are you on the listening panel, the couch?
Hi dave72, did you like the sound of the JBL S4700s?, what is the difference in sound between this model and lesser and more exspensive model's?
Thank's dave72, that was very interesting, I would have never thought that, since I have not listened to these speaker's, I have listened to many, many JBL speaker's in my time, I even own a pair now, of course not to the level we are talking here, needless to say, with all that I have done, these are singing!, the s4700's look like the k2, you think?