Buy 4k projector or display now?...or stay 1080p?

I'm saw some 4k and ultraHD displays at my local Best Buy/Magnolia the other day. I must say, the still photos and digital 4k images they're playin on a loop on these sets are indeed stunning! (ok, they weren't calibrated super accurately, er anything, but still tremendous rez!)
Still, for $6500+ for 55-65" flat panel displays, it begs the question, "if I bought something like this for my daily watcher, would I really get the benefit from it, particularly knowing that all the video I watch on it, is likely all upscaled lower rez Satalite, Netflix, and bluray quality source material? That, and I figure over the next 5 years, what kind of 4K true sources would even be available to take full advantage then, anyway?
Besides all of that, I can't imagine needing to sit so close as to take full advantage of any increase in potential picture quality/rez on one of these sets anyway. So is anyone else here thinkin' that they probably wouldn't need something like that, anytime soon? Cause I am.
And, as for projectors, seems to make zero senses to try and even concern about anything beyond used budget 1080p projectors, if I can't get source material anyway, nor for the foreseeable future either.
Any thoughts on this transition of new 4k equipment coming down the pike? I'm also looking to upgrade my current 1080p video projector for better quality and maybe brighter 3D output. But Lord knows I'm surely not even considering paying $25k for some native 1st generation 4k projector, that's not gunna likely be bright enough to fill a 150" diagonal projection screen on a standard gain screen, and with ZERO 4K video source material for me to use on it!
Money saved? I'm thinkin so.
avgoround
I'd wait and see how the new Sony 500ES looks compared to the 1000ES.

ps the 1000ES will get upgraded to HDMI 2.0 specs as well and be sold as the 1100ES. 1000ES owners will have to pay for the upgrade
Stick with 1080P, we are several years away from having enough native 4K material to make the purchase of a 4K set worthwhile...

-RW-
Don't blow $6,500 on some new TV. For that kind of money you can get a pretty good pair of cables. Not the best, but still...
Post removed 
Im kinda thinkin about just upgrading my 1080p video projector and screen combo, and playing around with an anamorphic lense for now!
Later, I can possibly ditch the lens, when I know that 4k is more of a readily available source, and upgrade projectors down the road.
Yeah, don't think I care about 4k right now
Stick with 1080p for now until the price of 4K comes down. By that time OLED should come down in price enough to make you forget about 4K.
I also would go for a 70 inch Oled screen. You have to wait 2 years for that. This year I bought the Samsung 64F8500. This screen is now the most light stark screen in the world. The light output gives you a new way of looking tv or movies. It gives you a more 3 dimensional image. The light output give you more a feeling as if you are there in real. No projector can give you this level. I never will go for a projector anymore. I would go down in realism.
4K maybe very short lived. 6K camera technology is already here.

The actual live comparison not only of size but the frame detail within motion is amazing.

http://www.red.com/products/epic-dragon
I think the real driver for the higher resolution rollout timeline will be the way the US government drags its feet when implementing new broadcast standards. I clearly recall reading about high-definition TV capabilities being rolled out all over the planet while our Congress critters bowed and scraped for decades before coming up with the 720/1080 res that is standard here in the US. Based on what I saw as Europe and Asia had HDTV ages before we did, also evidenced by the similarly disgraceful US bandwidth regulation, I cannot imagine 4K broadcast in the US before 2030. With this in mind, I would clearly try to factor in the expected out of pocket expense of access to ANY 4K content at all in the foreseeable future.
I was at my local BB looking at the Samsung (64") and Panny (65") plasmas. Then I saw the Sony XBR 65" 4k tv. Dang! These things are sweet looking, but of course the content is specifically for them. Even my wife was amazed (and it takes a lot to amaze her).

Since my pre/pro (Marantz AV8801) does upscaling to 4k, I'd love to see how these 4k tv's work with an upscaled image.
yep yep..all that and I'd love to see a 4K+ image on a huge 135"+ projection screen, from a world class projector!! Im completely fine with my 55" 1080p image, and so is everyone else who sees it.
Higher Rez demands a larger surface to make sense for the money, IMO.
I prefer the 4k projector with brighter and higher contrast radio, and the Sony VPLVW285ES 4K Projector (2017 model) is what I am considering about.Getting a buying guide for the collection of 4k projector is what we need.
I watch my Epson 5040 with HDR / 4K content (Oppo source) and it’s phenomenal. The Epson uses pixel shifting to simulate 4K, but we’re at $2500 for the projector and at 5 feet from the (100 inch) screen you can’t see the pixels. You have to crank the light levels up to get a bright image (which shortens bulb life, and in really quiet parts you may hear the fan (just behind and overhead on my 9’ ceiling)) but you’ll have to go about $10K for noticeably better, and it’s my music space as well, so no big (hard) screen for me. Acoustically transparent screen drops in front of the mains during movie time. No regrets, and all anyone can say is "Holy Fu€[ Batman"! Upscaled 1080 is also really, really good, but most decent movies are now being released on 4K, it seems. Bladerunner 2049 was really well done.
$6500+ for 55-65" flat panel displays? You’re shopping at the wrong place.

At Costco online, the prices for the 55" flatscreen 4K displays range from $489.99 to $1649.99. Brands are mostly Samsung and LG OLED, which are *very* good. The $489.99 units are for Costco members only. In-store prices are about the same.

The next size up is 65", and the 4K flatscreens (not curved) range from $799.99 to $2649.99 for Samsung Ultra HD and LG OLED models.

BTW, the hi-def loops they run through the display TVs aren’t much help for evaluating picture quality. Any TV will look its best when the action is slow. You won’t really know what you have until you watch a fast action scene to see how well all those pixels keep up with the action.

I remember when the industry was pitching 3D HDTV around 2011. The picture quality of 3D TVs was noticeably sharper and richer looking than 2D TV. The sales guy explained that because of the requirements of 3D, all signal paths had a broader bandwidth and a higher resolution engine that made for a sharper display.

You’ll notice that 3D disappeared and 4K quickly replaced it. I’m pretty sure the 3D bandwidth has been re-purposed for 2D 4K imaging. Both formats require HDMI 1.4a. You might want to take a favorite 1080p Blu-ray to Magnolia and play it through a 4K TV. See if it looks better than the same disc playing on a 1080p display. If it does look better, then you’ll probably be satisfied with your purchase in the meantime.

At the least, you’ll be satisfied with 65" Samsung and LG Ultra HD flatscreens that only cost a smidgen more than the 1080p versions.