Buy 4k projector or display now?...or stay 1080p?

I'm saw some 4k and ultraHD displays at my local Best Buy/Magnolia the other day. I must say, the still photos and digital 4k images they're playin on a loop on these sets are indeed stunning! (ok, they weren't calibrated super accurately, er anything, but still tremendous rez!)
Still, for $6500+ for 55-65" flat panel displays, it begs the question, "if I bought something like this for my daily watcher, would I really get the benefit from it, particularly knowing that all the video I watch on it, is likely all upscaled lower rez Satalite, Netflix, and bluray quality source material? That, and I figure over the next 5 years, what kind of 4K true sources would even be available to take full advantage then, anyway?
Besides all of that, I can't imagine needing to sit so close as to take full advantage of any increase in potential picture quality/rez on one of these sets anyway. So is anyone else here thinkin' that they probably wouldn't need something like that, anytime soon? Cause I am.
And, as for projectors, seems to make zero senses to try and even concern about anything beyond used budget 1080p projectors, if I can't get source material anyway, nor for the foreseeable future either.
Any thoughts on this transition of new 4k equipment coming down the pike? I'm also looking to upgrade my current 1080p video projector for better quality and maybe brighter 3D output. But Lord knows I'm surely not even considering paying $25k for some native 1st generation 4k projector, that's not gunna likely be bright enough to fill a 150" diagonal projection screen on a standard gain screen, and with ZERO 4K video source material for me to use on it!
Money saved? I'm thinkin so.
avgoround

Showing 1 response by mcbuddah

I think the real driver for the higher resolution rollout timeline will be the way the US government drags its feet when implementing new broadcast standards. I clearly recall reading about high-definition TV capabilities being rolled out all over the planet while our Congress critters bowed and scraped for decades before coming up with the 720/1080 res that is standard here in the US. Based on what I saw as Europe and Asia had HDTV ages before we did, also evidenced by the similarly disgraceful US bandwidth regulation, I cannot imagine 4K broadcast in the US before 2030. With this in mind, I would clearly try to factor in the expected out of pocket expense of access to ANY 4K content at all in the foreseeable future.