Audiphile Press: Am I jaded, experienced, or has it declined?

I remember Audio, Stereophile and TAS as an older teen getting me excited about music reproduction and technology. Getting out to listen to speakers and find gear I could afford to take me to music Nirvana.

I still like the gear, still like talking about it, comparing tech, sharing experiences and advice, but I can’t remember the last time I really thought "wow, that’s good writing!"

How about you?

Has too much press devolved to covering only the most expensive gear?  Do we lack better international gear coverage?  Does it all look like it could be easily written by an AI chat bot?

erik_squires

I still read it for the music reviews at the back. They're the first things I turn to. 

"Am I jaded, experienced, or has it declined?"

*L*  All 3, I'd think....but I'll hold off on a final analysis until an 'office visit' IRL.... ;)

Long ago (71 and 'rising'...*meh*😏*), I too would plow thru the mags, pics, verbage, seeking that would raise interest both mentally, emotionally, and financially.

There came a time when The Pursuit had to be put on pause for awhile, but interest continued as a mere observer/listener; some would claim 'absurd-er', but they can continue to 'slaves to the rhythm' in their own means and methods....

In the interval, the glowing adjectives, verbs, and the pics got glossier as the $'s rose as well.  When the choice btwn an amp and rent or a car became a bit blurred, but the specs only grew to the right of the decimal point (beyond which I couldn't discern a rational/reasonable difference....except in ones' choice of speaker/radiator....of course)....

I opted out.

I'm reasonably happy with the items I've amassed to 'feed the dragon'; it's 'black' enough on standby, 'clear & clean' to allow noting the differences in the mixes, the age of a recording within it's medium, and loud enough to drown out any doubts. *G*

The biggest issue is the space it's in, but have the means of overcome it to some degree.  Learned that trick long ago... ;)

Done for a pittance in contrast. *S*

If there's anything that catches the eye & mind for the ears (not a lot does), I've learned Patience.

Eventually, 'it' will show up used.

I let y'all be the 'reviewers', as there's a lot more varied ears involved with a greater degree of opinions yay 'n nay.  No paper to be recycled, no subscriptions involved, levels of interest and commitment not concerned with circulations and sales....

I thank all of you....and wish y'all well in Your pursuits.

Please do carry on. *S*

Did you happen to see the recent review of the Gobel High-End Divin Noblesse Loudspeaker, in TAS?   If not, here it is:

Bass: Check

Mid: Check

Treble: Check

Music: Check

Conclusion: Great Speaker

PS: It’s bright

Please don't quote chatbots here.  What they write is totally bland because it is programmed not to offend anyone.  As Mr Dylan once said 'it says nuttin about nuttin'.

Don't forget we can all send in this rubbish.

So..... i don't usually think it's a good idea to break down a speaker cost relative to drivers.... but damn.  Gobel.