180 Gram vs. MFSL

Any thoughts on which would be preferable - a 180 gram version of a record or a MFSL version? I am considering buying a copy of the Band's first album. The 180 gram copy is new; the MFSL is used, rate NM.
dminches
Post removed 
the mfsl line had superb quality control and pretty good sound. some of the newer pressings of the same records have 'as good', or 'better' fidelity, but the qc for surface noise is non existant.
The Simple Vinyl copies of the Bands first two records are the best I have heard. I own original pressings, Canadian pressings and MoFi............ YMMV

Cmo
It would depend on the condition of the MSFL (Buying used can be a crapshoot), and the quality of the re-mastering job done on the 180 gram. I've heard 180 gram re-masters that are better than the original's, but MSFL in mint condition is hard to beat. The thing is, is it really in mint condition. I don't buy a lot of used vinyl anymore, as I've been dissapointed in what some folks claim to be mint condition.

John
Is the 180 gram pressing remastered from the original ANALOG tapes? I mean if you are buying a 180 gram preesing culled from 3rd generation tapes I would go with The MFSL. I believe Robbie Robertson has the original masters,I know on the later recordings he had the leverage on Capitol to secure them. I have an original pressing and the remastered CD which sounds very good. This album has grown on me lately.
I have a 180 gram pressing played once, maybe twice, a domestic copy and a MFSL gold CD. I also have a Mobile Fidelity vinyl copy, sealed, which I paid dearly for and will open and play one day. The 180 gram pressing sounds very good, probably as close to as good as it's going to get given the production techniques employed at the time. However, that said, I have a 180 gram pressing of the first CSN album Deja Vu. It is noisy and simply doesn't have the presence and the detail of a MFSL copy I heard some time ago. I had heard the album and Cd many many times on different gear and was simply startled by the extra layer of information on the MFSL pressing. I think for the most part, MFSL had a lock on the process.My comments for what they're worth.
Impossible to answer without know more about the 180. If in doubt, by the MFSL.
Who makes the 180g copy? I have about 50 MFSL half speed masters and can attest that their vinyl formulation is superb - very quiet and detailed sounding. However, some of the MoFi's sound bright and equalized. I have not heard the MoFi version of the Band, so I do not know if that one was a dud for this label. Keep in mind that just because a record is marketed as "180g" doesn't mean it is any good, but does stack the cards in your favor slightly. Since the quality of the different labels varies all over the map, knowing the record company that makes the 180g version would be most helpful. All that being said, I would probably opt for the sealed version - a safer bet because at least, it is new.
The answer depends entirely on the LP in question, and the pressing history thereof. Personally, I've never cared for MFSL, generally finding the original LP to be far superior in the majority of cases. However, a 180g remaster that was poorly remastered can be far worse than an MFSL. I think the money is best spent on a mint original pressing, unless you have empirical proof that ANY remastered/repressed version is clearly superior. Regarding the Band LP in question, I have no information.

-R.