Does a Postal Money order need to "clear"?

I sent a Money order to my seller and he says he will ship when it clears. Is this necessary?
shoe
I had the same thing happen,sent money order(cashiers check)recieved tues or wed,said hell ship next week at the soonest when it clears.He heard a little something from me.I think its bogus when people do that#@$%.
Narrod is right, they can be faked. Now days, one should wait for any and all checks to clear.
Good to know, as I've just received one. I checked it out under the light, and ran through the surface with my fingers, and everything looked legit. I had just deposited it at the bank. Next time I'll know to just take it to the post office and cash it.

FrankC
I would not make a buyer wait if a postal money order was used unless it looked suspect. I was ripped off once back when you could leave negative feedback. The fact that Agon feedback means so little now really stinks.
there are fake bank check or money order out there, so this is what I do.

ask for certified bank check along with bank contact info. when you receive the check, call the bank and read them the check number; they can tell you right at the spot if the check is legit so you don't need to take any risk.

another good option but does not always work is to ask buyer to deposit cash into your account directly, assuming your bank has a branch in his area. giving out your bank account has no risk, you do that every time you write someone a check anyway.

that's why Paypal has become the most popular choice of payment method here.