Where are the female Audiophiles?

Based on my limited experience, I would guess that 98% of Audiophiles are male. But 51% of our population is female. What gives?

In this age where females and males are equally represented in Universities and in the Professions, why is this still true?

I would guess that it is a cultural thing, can't be genetic can it?
Is it different in other parts of the World?
hdomke
Is it any wonder?? Sweetmamma31 responds and the rest of the guys(for the most part) continue on as if there were no women present.
Sweetmamma-sorry to hear of your purchasing experience,but in the end its' the customers' money that gets the respect.This might actually play in your favor,smile and act sweet>>then hit them up for a great discount.There's no better place to play "hard ball".
Happy Listening and Happy Holidays to All.
I propose a semi-scientific investigation which may lead to some insight. Perhaps there is a personality profile associated with being an audiophile, and perhaps the profile is prevalent in men and rare in women. I hereby propose the following informal survey. Each responder should answer for him- or herself and pose the same inquiries to his or her spouse or significant other -- and for that matter, anyone else you care to survey (the more the better):

1. Do you consider yourself an audiophile? (audiophile or non-audiophile)
2. Are you a man or woman? (man or woman)
3. Would you describe yourself as a thinker or a feeler? (thinker or feeler)
4. Would you describe yourself as an extrovert or an introvert? (extrovert or introvert)
5. Are you more interested in things or people? (things or people)
6. If offered the choice at no cost to you between a concert of your favorite musical ensemble exclusively performing for you and any others you choose to invite, or a world-class playback system, yours to keep forever, which would you choose, assuming the market value of each is identical? (concert or system)

Here is my response in the format I'd recommend for easy analysis:

1) Audiophile
2) Man
3) Thinker
4) Introvert
5) Things
6) System

Here is my wife's:

1) Non-audiophile
2) Woman
3) Feeler
4) Extrovert
5) People
6) Concert

There may be other questions that should be added. Feel free to expand, and please post your results. Perhaps we'll uncover something informative.
I'm a woman and consider myself an audiophile and Ive also also wondered why there are seemingly not more of us. I think there is probably no simple answer. We probably do care more about how the house looks but I have trios i actually like their looks. I think the fact that almost all the people on audio related forums probably does discourage more women from participating so the lack of women on these forums becomes a little self perpetuating but most of the people ive dealt with here have been great and helpful. I also think that women who get into this hobby might like to talk more about music then the gear ( Kind of like wine i'd rather drink it then talk about but some oy my guy friends seem to like the wine patter more). I find I'm more likely to respond to the music posts. But that being said I've often not understood how if you love music you can avoid investing at least some effort and money ( assuming some disposable cash) in this hobby.
Why hasn't "Elizabeth" weighed in on this one? She's usually got something to say.
In all my 150+ dealings here on the gon - I had only one (1) woman call me & she wound up buying (a local pick up) my Wilson Audio Watt Puppy 6's about 3 years ago.
I do consider my wife a "audiophillette" as she really loves the sound of my 2 channel rig, but prefers our HT set up as she & the rest of the world are not allowed to touch my personal system.