How Much Have You Lost Thru' The Upgrade Process?

I normally don't upgrade my equipment too often but have an estimated $5,000 loss throughout the upgrade process in a span of 6 years. Compared to some of the heavyweights here I think the sum is negligible. Just wondering.
ryder
You mean that you kept track? I lost track years ago. I know I've lost money, but I don't know how much, and I'm not sure I want to know.

John
for over 30 years,it would have been far cheaper to be a hard drug addict. ironically, most of the components i know to be great, are things i kicked to the curb. still have a few, but the jones to experiment is always there, held in check nowdays.
I agree with Drubin. To look as an aquisitional or equipment based hobby with upgrades as part of it is looking at it somewhat convoluted. In this perspective, a round of golf once or twice a week @ 75-100 including cart snacks/drinks afterward,( or a $20K a year CC membership fee), or an evening of fine dining out @ $200+, or worse yet a cruise for $10K-$15K, or racing a vintage Porsche at the club level with fees tires tech equip etc, would all have to be considered hugh "losses" since at the end, the money spend is totally consumed or "gone". Not even a stately speaker or glowing tube amp still firmly in its place on the rack to look at. Maybe some good laughs or memories and possibly some digital photos but the $$ spent are gone. In that light our hobby of HiFi is, especially now with Audigon for trying various pieces, is really rather inexpensive in comparison to the others mentioned above. If I would add up the hours of enjoyment gained from my listening, and yes even the fun and enjoyment of upgrading and the accompanying anticipation of new equipment, and divide into the total net $$ spent (or consumed) , I bet the cost /hour of enjoyment gained (and stress relieved)is far less than any of the above mentioned or any of the many other forms of passtimes or entertainment. At least this is true in my case...