Is there such a thing as audiophile parametric eq?

My listening room is of awful dimensions (close to 1 x 2 x 4) and I've used treatments and bass traps to get the imaging and bass response to be very good. Yet there are some frequencies especially in the mid-bass that are very loud compared to everything else. I was considering buying a Behringer DEQ2496 after hearing rave reviews of what it can do in a home listening environment. Then I found out that the SPDIF I/O is optical and that threw a wrench into that plan. What I need is either a very good digital eq that uses RCA SPDIF or a very good analog PEQ. Any suggestions?
jlambrick
First of all optical is not all that bad if you use the glass toslink cable. ALso, best is to use a good DAC after the Behringer, although you would be surprised how good the DAC in the Behringer is.

Also, the Behringer does allow coaxial inputs via the
Restock, I lost the last part of your message. Maybe what I want to do is possible with this unit after all. Ideally, I'd like to put the eq between my CD transport and DAC. I've modified a CD player using a reclocking circuit to provide a VERY low jitter transport and I've hotrodded an MSB dac to be very good as well. But they are both coaxial. Are you saying I could use the Behringer after all?
Sorry about the lost message ...here's another try:

In addition to the optical input the Behringer has AES/EBU digital inputs/outputs. These should work with an XLR to RCA adapator for coaxial in/out. Yes, I think you should be able to use it. Note however that the Behringer will do some sample rate conversion (SRC). Overall I am not sure whether more jitter will be introduced by the Behringer (even probable).

As for the DAC after the Behringer: You can use the digital out (optical or XLR) to connect to a DAC and do the DA conversion in a higher quality DAC. As mentioned above, I am not sure whether there will be some SRC step in addition to the digital DEQ that might have negative effects.

As I mainly listen to analog, I hardly use the DEQ, but I was surprised how well it worked when running it into a Lavry DAC. Also I keep it around to do room measurements, integrate the subwoofer better, etc...

Overall a good component at a very reasonable price.

Hope this helps.

Rene