levinson lexus sound?

Has anyone listened to the sound system in lexus vehicles?
What was your opinion to other car audio systems, eg Bose etc.
samuellaudio
I agree the HK system in BMW X5s (exactly the same as Range Rover's of course) sounds great. I haven't heard the Levinson setup though.

I believe the Linn system only comes in Aston Martins...

Arthur
I have heard levinson in the LX470 also. Not terribly impressed. I would opt (a bit lean on bass side though, but plays very clean) for the Nakamichi premium sound sytstem in the previous model LX450 which I still have. In fact I rate the Nakamichi even better than the HK in my current Mercedes G500. HK has more bass and all but still 'digital sounding' even at low treble setting. Far from state of art. I have auditioned HK in RR and that sounded much better than the Gwagen.

But then may be i was spoiled by my after market all go PPI system in my 88 Prelude. The Nak is still the best car stereo I ever had. Not full range but very musical and tonally correct.
With all the road, wind, engine, transmission and tire noise, why would someone spend that type of money on a car system??? I just don't get it. My friend has Lexus LS430 with levison system in it. It sounds good to me when the car is park in the drive way with the engine off but when the car is on the road it doesn't sound that much different than a reasonablely good system. I rather spend the money on my home system.
I don't like home audio Levenson sound. I'd never let that be a reason to buy a car either.
The levinson stuff in the lexus is so/so, probably about on par with the bose. Pretty boring.

To get good sound in the car, you've really got to go aftermarket, and it is NOT cheap to get sound that an audiophile would find acceptable. I know because I've done it, and wasted a lot of money doing things over and over again when it didn't turn out right.

The most important thing (just like at home) is nailing the speakers and the acoustics. This is not trivial. Start with a good driver - this means a Dynaudio, Scan Speak, Morel, Seas, or Focal. If you are mounting drivers in the door, the door needs to become your speaker baffle/cabinet. It's got to be made extremely dead and non resonant, and internally damped. Ideally, you're going to want to mount your midrange and tweeter in the kick panel, which involves custom fiberglass enclosures.

The 2nd most important thing is making the car quieter. You've got to damp the entire interior of the car, trunk, etc. with dynamat or similar material. Doing this right will decrease the ambient noise by 10db or more easily. While it still won't be completely silent or quiet enough to hear the subtle inflections on solo violin playing pp, it'll get the job done.

The third most important thing is processing. You've got to RTA and EQ and do this in a relatively transparent way. A modded Behringer DCX is ideal, and with this you can drive the speakers actively as well and control the crossovers.

If you are lucky enough to find someone skilled enough to "get it" and do this work, it'll probably cost around $10k - $15k to do it right.

Beware most car audio people. Don't trust them unless you hear their work. They don't "get it" for the most part. Of course there are exceptions, but even "high profile" car audio dealers are not audiophiles.