condo owners, how do you appease the neighbors?

Hi everyone,
I just moved into a condo and the neighbor downstairs won't leave me alone. He keeps knocking on my door and asking me to turn down the music. I checked the volume level with my Radio Shack SPL meter, and found the average to be about 72db. Peaks at about 76db. Measured with pop music. For reference, my HVAC runs loud at about 65db. If I turn the music down a little, I can't hear it when the heat turns on. This is not as loud as I'm accustomed to listening, but it is far too loud for my neighbor, apparently. What have you other condo/apartment owners done?
Thanks.

Tom
tfkaudio
I've been on the recieving end of a Bose subwoofer............ two 8 inch speakers pointed down into my living room from above........... a nightmare it was, she'd get drunk pass out cold and leave it on at 2 in the morning......... sounded like a real drum set was being played........ This person finally reset the bass level after numerous fights and things have been great......... I guess those Bose systems come with the bass level on full tilt.......... Now, I learned everyones work schedule and my neighbors usually are gone in the daytime, I'm home alot in the day so that gives me time to play loud, I got lucky........... I hate living this close to other people, stacked on top of eachother in poorly constructed buildings, there should be a building code inforced for noise polution........ People should be able to listen to stereos with no hassle.......... More so with condos, people put good money down and you still can hear what you neighbors are watching on the tv. One day I'm gonna live in the woods.
Well, I just make it work. I think you have to do what makes you happy, and if they can't understand that give them time. Personally, I don't think I could listen, really listen to music that is only 75db...I agree about the sub/bass issues, as they are always an issue regardless of how much concrete is in your building. I found that going to a full range speaker allowed for increased volume without the "boom" of a subwoofer. Headphones are an option, but I would not use them unless I was listening late nights. In my current arangement I share my livingroom wall with my neighbor and have people living above me...I still listen at all hours...my next-door neighbor has only complained once when I turned on my sub for an action movie.

Good luck
Unfortunatley, there is little recourse on your part. Your are considered the "neighbor from hell" to the downstairs tenant. He has options such as initiating a condo board hearing or a noise abate lawsuit. Both can make your life miserable. Apart from the financial resources needed for a lawsuit, some states require realtors to disclose to potential tenants that you are a "nuisance" which can leave your condo board with a problem in renting and you with a black mark to future landlords.

Also, you have no "rights" to play music, or do what you wish with respect to neighbors, during reasonable time periods. A right is defined as something you can exercise without imposing an obligation or hardship on another. Even if you consult an attorney as to the local nuisance laws, the condo may have other rules which contradict and supersede - all perfectly legal.

Sorry to be pessimistic, but the only practical option that you have, from my perspective, is to come to some form of man-to-man agreement. If that fails, then - what I would do - is to continue playing at reasonable volumes during the day. If a comlaint is lodged to the condo board, I would politely ask to know exactly, with specifics, how I am violating the lease agreement and what I would need to do to comply - apart from not playing music. Is it the rattling from the bass? That can be addressed - as I understand that's obnoxious. Is it the fact that the music is heard? If it's not louder than conversation, what do I do? Stop speaking as well:-)? Make yourself the reasonable one.

You cannot be stopped from living your life; there are practical limits, of course. Just make them spell it out for you.
I have the same problem with my neighbor downstairs. Before she moved in I went down and listened to my stereo to see/hear what was and thought I had it nailed down. Back then, I had Legacy Classics and a 200 watt Rotel amp. Needless to say, it still bothered her when I knew she couldn't really hear it as she said since I knew how loud to play it. Later, I moved on to Decware 1.5s that have no real bass to speak of and she still complained, so I've switched to Decwate MG-944s (haven't gotten them yet) and these should play convincingly enough at low volunes so as to not be a problem. The thing is, since I've been waiting for the speakers, I've had time to hear her (she's a part time actress and talks loudly) and her parties, what with that insipid music that just bangs along like a metronome and it really isn't all that bad. I only wish she could be living below two other neighbors that wouldn't be anyway near accomodating as I've been (I even gave her my number in case it bugged her) to see how lucky she has it. Anyway, I'm going to take the advice given here and arrange to hear what she complains about when my new speakers arrive. Heck, even my managers told me that I went way out of my way to please her and that next time, refer her to them and they'll explain the compromises of apartment living to her.
Man, I guess I am lucky to live in small town USA where houses are cheap and affordable. I can tell what you are going thru would be very frustrating.

I do have one thought. Does your appt. have wall to wall carpeting or laminate flooring? It might not look great, but putting down a layer of that soundproof sheetrock type material on the floor and getting a large area rug might work. This is just a guess.

Or you could always get a crazy look in your eyes, dress real crazy, and go down for a visit and explain that you just got out of a long stay in a mental institution for aggrivated manslaughter when you were 16 and that you don't mind them living there as long as they don't cause any problems. Then scream real loud, sh*t your pants and go running thru the parking lot. I am sure they wouldn't complain about a little music after that. This too is just a guess.