condo owners, how do you appease the neighbors?

Hi everyone,
I just moved into a condo and the neighbor downstairs won't leave me alone. He keeps knocking on my door and asking me to turn down the music. I checked the volume level with my Radio Shack SPL meter, and found the average to be about 72db. Peaks at about 76db. Measured with pop music. For reference, my HVAC runs loud at about 65db. If I turn the music down a little, I can't hear it when the heat turns on. This is not as loud as I'm accustomed to listening, but it is far too loud for my neighbor, apparently. What have you other condo/apartment owners done?
Thanks.

Tom
tfkaudio

Showing 1 response by gs5556

Unfortunatley, there is little recourse on your part. Your are considered the "neighbor from hell" to the downstairs tenant. He has options such as initiating a condo board hearing or a noise abate lawsuit. Both can make your life miserable. Apart from the financial resources needed for a lawsuit, some states require realtors to disclose to potential tenants that you are a "nuisance" which can leave your condo board with a problem in renting and you with a black mark to future landlords.

Also, you have no "rights" to play music, or do what you wish with respect to neighbors, during reasonable time periods. A right is defined as something you can exercise without imposing an obligation or hardship on another. Even if you consult an attorney as to the local nuisance laws, the condo may have other rules which contradict and supersede - all perfectly legal.

Sorry to be pessimistic, but the only practical option that you have, from my perspective, is to come to some form of man-to-man agreement. If that fails, then - what I would do - is to continue playing at reasonable volumes during the day. If a comlaint is lodged to the condo board, I would politely ask to know exactly, with specifics, how I am violating the lease agreement and what I would need to do to comply - apart from not playing music. Is it the rattling from the bass? That can be addressed - as I understand that's obnoxious. Is it the fact that the music is heard? If it's not louder than conversation, what do I do? Stop speaking as well:-)? Make yourself the reasonable one.

You cannot be stopped from living your life; there are practical limits, of course. Just make them spell it out for you.