Firewire to SPDIF

Does anyone have any view on the superiority to Firewire to USB in terms of conversion to SPDIF.

one negative of USB is that if you are using a SPDIF conversion device then using another device like external HDDs is not recommended. it is also limited to 48/24 ..both unlike Firewire.

the only good device seems to be the Weiss Minerva..but that in the Uber price range for something like this.

Does anyne have any experience with Echo Audio ?
http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/FireWire/AudioFire2/specs.php
arj
My Benchmark DAC-1 instruction manual clearly says that it utilizes USB 1.1 protocol, and is compatible with both USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 ports. USB 1.1 is the first widely used and bug fixed version of USB 1.0. It has a maximum data rate of 12Mbs (full speed), more than enough to pass 24/96 signal.

USB 1.1 still no where as fast as Firewire. USB still utilizes the CPU in your configuration and transmits packets, not data streams.

Both of these statements are correct. But as confirmed by several posters in the thread I linked to above, 24/96 can be successfully and consistently transferred between a computer's usb 2.0 or 1.1 output and a dac that has a usb 1.1 input. Although, as I said, a computer which is underpowered or software-bloated may have problems doing that.

Re converting firewire or usb to spdif, yes that may be necessary for specialized or professional applications, but if you want to send spdif from a computer to a dac, why not output spdif from the computer directly, without any conversion?

Regards,
-- Al
Hey thanks for the responses. I use a Reimyo DAC so 24/96 is not really a requirement.
I had read in a couple of places that with more than 1 USB devices the quality of audio out can suffer hence the question.
Cerrot, How would you rate the M Audio ? I already have a Trends Audio UD10 but even with a battery pack it is nowhere near the resolution given by my CD transport.
The empirical audio products are supposedly fantastic but will wait for a USB3 version before investing in that..
I like the M Audio alot. I tried the Trends with the stock and the battery power supply and neither worked for me. I just dismissed the usb altogether. The Maudio into my monarchy dip into Music fidelity XDac 3/PSU gets me close to my Esoteric xo3 se.
cerrot, thats really great to hear
Have just placed an order for the M Audio and plan to use it via my Monarchy DIP into my Raimyo Dac

do Firewire cable quality matter ?

Will let you know about it once i set it up