Firewire to SPDIF

Does anyone have any view on the superiority to Firewire to USB in terms of conversion to SPDIF.

one negative of USB is that if you are using a SPDIF conversion device then using another device like external HDDs is not recommended. it is also limited to 48/24 ..both unlike Firewire.

the only good device seems to be the Weiss Minerva..but that in the Uber price range for something like this.

Does anyne have any experience with Echo Audio ?
http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/FireWire/AudioFire2/specs.php
arj
Hey thanks for the responses. I use a Reimyo DAC so 24/96 is not really a requirement.
I had read in a couple of places that with more than 1 USB devices the quality of audio out can suffer hence the question.
Cerrot, How would you rate the M Audio ? I already have a Trends Audio UD10 but even with a battery pack it is nowhere near the resolution given by my CD transport.
The empirical audio products are supposedly fantastic but will wait for a USB3 version before investing in that..
I like the M Audio alot. I tried the Trends with the stock and the battery power supply and neither worked for me. I just dismissed the usb altogether. The Maudio into my monarchy dip into Music fidelity XDac 3/PSU gets me close to my Esoteric xo3 se.
cerrot, thats really great to hear
Have just placed an order for the M Audio and plan to use it via my Monarchy DIP into my Raimyo Dac

do Firewire cable quality matter ?

Will let you know about it once i set it up
Not sure on the cables. I'm using the stock firewire that came with the MAudio and no issues. I have seen upgraded usb cables on line but have't seen any firewire by the high end mfg (Cardas, etc). I would bite if I saw one.

Good luck with your upgrade. I'm sure you will love it. Please report back.
Hello Cerrot,
Can you pls let me know whether this M-Audio unit can be used as a converter (Fireware to SPDIF)? also Which is the best firewate interface (400 or 800) for hirez audio files from my pc to external hard disc drive?

Thanks for your feed back on this.