HELP ... Mac MIni and Bel Canto DAC3 Problems ...

HELP PLEASE!!!

My Setup:
Mac Mini --> Bel Canto DAC3 via USB --> Simaudio I-7 via XLR --> Dynaudio Confidence C1.

My Problem:
I just received a slightly used Bel Canto DAC3 today to replace a Benchmark Media DAC1 USB. I planned on doing an A/B comparison. However, when I unplug the Benchmark and plug in the Bel Canto, I get music drop-outs and pops every 5 to 10 seconds. I have tried everything I can think of to no avail ... I still get the continuous drop-outs and clicks.

Should I return the Bel Canto or is there a fix for this? PLEASE HELP!!!!

Additional info ... the Bel Canto DAC3 has firmware revision 2.01.

pwfletcher
Edo,

I'm using USB to USB. A Bel Canto engineer told me
by phone that with a Mac, USB is best, so haven't even
bothered trying optical. ( Maybe USB is best with Windows
too, I don't know -- and I don't care. ;-) )

As I inferred in my previous post, I tried lots of fussy mussy
and complicated stuff, to little avail and at significant expense.
None of it was worth it, that I could *hear*.
Hard to beat a $5, 6" USB cable for simplicity. :-)

I currently use only the hard drive in the Mini --
I ordered a 120 GB drive upgrade when I bought the Mini new,
which holds about 400 CDs in Apple Lossless format.
That happens to be enough for me, for now.
I own a Newer Technology 500 GB 'mini stackable' drive
that I use for other purposes, but it would be a little too noisy
for my tastes as an add-on the Mini server. I've read that
quieter Mini-stackable drives exist but I can't advise
which though, I've forgotten.
I've tried both on Windows..it sounded about the same too me. No real difference to put one a head of the other.
To everyone, thanks for all the info. I have been doing some internet research on DAC's. The new Bel Canto DAC 3 has really caught my eye. I'm hoping it really catches my ears as well. I recently auditioned the Rotel 1082 with the Rega Apollo. Both sounded great together but a little weak on the bass. Though a fine tuned sub took care of the issue. I have a 12" Velodyne. Currently I am running a Proceed HPA2 to a pair of B&W 804's. The connection being made with Monster M2.4 biwire cables, Monster M1000 RCA's. I will be using a newly purchased Mac mini as my server.
I look forward to hearing some feedback and or suggestions.
Thanks
I found some of the same different with my benchmark dac.
But I found the balanced outputs performed much better than the RCAs. Which were you using.
One thing to consider is whether u want to use headphones as well....The Bel Canto doesn't have headphone outs so you will need to add a headphone amp if you desire that functionality added to your system