Amp Shutting Down, need help

I have a Cary 7.250 brand new amp that shuts down after 20 seconds in my NYC apartment. I have sent the unit back to Cary where it tests fine. I have tried the unit at my friend’s apartment and his place of work and it works fine. The unit is 100% in working order. After talking to many people I was told to attach a 50' extension cord and low and behold it worked.

The good news is that I have a dedicated 20amp circuit to this outlet. My voltage reads 118 volts and Cary said that is not a problem as the unit will work between 90 and 130 volts. I have tested for voltage on the negative lead to ground and there is no stray voltage. I have also tried the unit on other outlets in the apartment and the same problem occurs.

My mono blocks and all other components work just fine. So I’d love to hear suggestions as to how to get rid of this 50’ extension cord?

Thanks in advance.
sailcappy
I agree. They will not give me my money back. They are willing to send me a new one. Do you think it is worth a try?
I agree. They will not give me my money back. They are willing to send me a new one. Do you think it is worth a try?
09-04-12: Sailcappy

Through the dealer you bought the amp from?

If so, yes..... But have the dealer sell the new amp on consignment.

From everything you have told us in this tread,

*You sent the amp back to Cary. They said nothing was wrong with the amp. Checked out fine.....

*You had them send you a new 15 amp magnetic breaker. That breaker trips.

*The amp works fine at your friends house.

I can't believe you have moved the amp around as much as you have..... The specs says it weighs 105 lbs....

What makes you think the new amp will work in your apartment?

The only way I would try the same amp in your apartment is if Cary replaces the 15 amp magnetic breaker with an on/off main power switch and adds a fuse for overcurrent and short circuit protection. Get rid of that magnetic breaker.....

It maybe time to cut your losses and move on.

Take the new factory fresh sealed box amp and have the dealer sell it to recoup most of your money.
To be honest the dealer shouldn't charge you a dime to sell the amp for all the problems you have gone through with the amp.

When the dealer sells the new amp he refunds you your original purchase price less the sales tax.

Beat the hell out of selling it as used all over again if the thing does not work in your apartment. And who wants to buy a used amp that is so finicky it may not work in the buyer's home? I wouldn't touch the thing with a 10' pole.....

Life is too short!
When i get the Oscilloscopes what should I be looking for? Is there a setting I should use?

I am betting that once we find the real problem with my ececticity a real solution could be found.
When i get the Oscilloscopes what should I be looking for? Is there a setting I should use?
I described one of the things that should be done in my post dated 8-18-12. Also, you should look for any major distortion of the 60 Hz waveform. Ideally it should look like a close approximation of a 60 Hz sine wave. If you see anything questionable try to photograph it, and post the photo at one of the free online photo-sharing services, with a link to it here.

As far as settings are concerned, there are a great many of them, so try to have Ken guide you through this. Also, of course, be cautious of the fact that you will be connecting to a potentially lethal voltage.

Sorry that the Brick Wall didn't help. Before selling it, it may be worth your while to compare sonic results between it and the SR, powering the entire system from one and then the other.

Regards,
-- Al
09-06-12: Sailcappy
Sailcappy,

A lot depends on the power quality analyzer Ken is able to borrow from the company he works for. And more important how to use the instrument and interpret the info.

*Ken will need to check for odd Harmonics, voltage as well as current distortions.

*Poor PF, power factor, lagging as well as leading.

*Voltage sag.

He needs to measure the current draw of the Cary amp as it goes through its active start up cycle. Especially the current draw at the point the 15 amp magnetic breaker trips open. At the same time measuring the voltage.

If the current through the breaker exceeds the 15 amp rating then he will need to figure out the possible reasons why.

Harmonics?

Lagging or leading poor power factor?

Voltage sag? Depending on the power supply/s of the Amp
a voltage sag can result in an increase in current draw.
SMPS.....
So if the voltage sags, is the power supply drawing more current to compensate exceeding the 15 amp rating of the magnetic breaker?

As I have said in earlier posts your best bet is to hire a Power Quality expert. A person who is trained in the field of Power Quality.