Why does better power = better sound?

Why does improving power quality improve sound quality?

I’m not asking to start an argument about power cords or wall outlets. Please let’s not go there. I’m asking because I’m hoping to learn some technical explanations for the effects of power quality on sound quality. I think I already understand how…

1. greater current availability = greater dynamic range
2. reduction of RFI/EMI = better signal to noise ratio

…but what about these…

3. ???????? = greater perceived resolution
4. ???????? = more realistic instrument timbres
5. ???????? = more precise imaging

Are differences in resolution, instrument timbres, imaging, etc. somehow reducible to current availability and/or powerline noise? If so, HOW are they reducible?

Again, I’m hoping to get into technical specifics, not polemical generalities.

Thanks in advance.

Bryon
bryoncunningham
Al as usual gave a wonderful answer

To view it a bit differently think of electricity or power as water and your electronics as living creatures needing it.
Believe it or not there are only 5 water systems in the U.S. that do not need or are required by state or national standards to use chlorine or other items to clean the water(New York City and San Francisco are two of them). When you don't have to spend time getting things cleaned up so that water can be used it is more energy efficient and easier on all around. Power works the same, when it is cleaner either by power cords, conditioners, magic, or whatever everything flows much more easily and the electronics can finally do the job they were designed for with ease.
If you accept that better quality components (power supplies, caps etc.) lead to better resolution, imaging etc., it is fair to accept that choking or polluting the power required to operate the equipment will diminish the potential. Providing clean power is just allowing equipment to operate at its full potential.

Remember you are trying to retrieve everything from your source. Less 'resistive' components all through the chain will allow that. Better quality just means less bad, since everything takes away.
Great comments -- but what is a practical way to deal with this issue. As a threshold matter, I was thinking of runnning a couple of 20A dedicated Romex lines from my circuit box to feed my gear as soon as my wife visits her mother on the West Coast. But as far as "power gremlins" are concerned, is there a moderately priced solution out there??

I've heard similar comments about power regenerators mentioned by Al -- loss of dynamics. Also power regenerators are da*n expensive. Suggestions would be welcome. Lookin' for quality electrons.
Bifwynne - I use Furman Elite 20PFi, a power correcting 20A conditioner with non-sacrificial over/under voltage protection. I don't see any difference in dynamics possibly because in addition to large inductor in series with power outputs it also has huge capacitor. They claim 55 amperes of available peak current. There is some change in bass performance making bass more musical (more even), but the biggest improvement is in purity of the midrange. It also gives me sense of security protecting all my components during thunderstorms.
I recently purchased a couple of Blue Circle SillyCone filters. They are a parallel filters which are plugged into any free outlet but their effectiveness is increased the closer they are to the equipment outlet. These filters are built into a silicone filled ABS pipe, they aren't much to look at, but don't let that dissuade you.

I purchased them for my monoblocks as I have always plugged the amps directly into the wall. Since the SillyCone filters are parallel filters, they do not restrict current and dynamics.

What immediately grabbed my attention was the level of refinement these filters brought to my system. Leading transients are less edgy and more natural. Backgrounds are blacker which allows inner detail and texture to flow through. Images are portrayed with greater density and space.

Previously, I had PS Audio Harvesters and at certain times of the day, their LEDs would start flashing so rapidly, that I could hear them buzzing. Even when I added more Harvesters, it didn't make a significant difference to the amount of power line noise as they would all be buzzing away. When I plugged in a single SillyCone 6x filter, the blinking on the Harvesters dropped significantly. Adding a second 6x filter stopped their blinking all together.

I eventually ordered two 18x filters for my amps. I'm thinking of getting more of these pipes, they even make a nice contribution when I plug them into my BPT conditioner.

http://www.bluecircle.com/page26.html