Which is more accurate: digital or vinyl?

More accurate, mind you, not better sounding. We've all agreed on that one already, right?

How about more precise?

Any metrics or quantitative facts to support your case is appreciated.
128x128mapman
MikeL,

I like your assessment and the mirror analogy.

Its a matter of degree though. You could say that the record is made of individual molecules but they fit together perfectly and occur at a scale that makes it insignificant. Similar with digital. It all depends on sampling frequency, sample size, (and accuracy of the device that creates the samples). Gets back to Nyquist Theorem or similar models assuming the minority opinion perhaps that Nyquist does not cut it as teh basis for CD format. I think it is an extremely close call in theory especially for younger better ears (although older ears are better trained perhaps even if not able to hear above 12-14Khz or so in general) but a good one in practice. Plus, as time goes on and technology improves and becomes more affordable, teh bar can be raised further if needed until it finally becomes clearly insignificant, like those molecules.

Digital is clearly improving all the time. Vinyl format stopped getting better probably almost 50 years ago now. The conclusion down the road seems inevitable if not already the case.
Its a matter of degree though. You could say that the record is made of individual molecules but they fit together perfectly and occur at a scale that makes it insignificant. Similar with digital. It all depends on sampling frequency, sample size, (and accuracy of the device that creates the samples). Gets back to Nyquist Theorem or similar models assuming the minority opinion perhaps that Nyquist does not cut it as teh basis for CD format. I think it is an extremely close call in theory especially for younger better ears (although older ears are better trained perhaps even if not able to hear above 12-14Khz or so in general) but a good one in practice. Plus, as time goes on and technology improves and becomes more affordable, teh bar can be raised further if needed until it finally becomes clearly insignificant, like those molecules.

Digital is clearly improving all the time. Vinyl format stopped getting better probably almost 50 years ago now. The conclusion down the road seems inevitable if not already the case.

We had a $72,000 digital system at a recent show. I had heard an earlier version several years earlier and back then it was easily the best I had heard, and this new version was even better. The designer was in the room with us, has an LP system (a good sign), and upon hearing our analog system in the room, turned to me and said 'digital has such a long way to go' and sighed...

Molecules are no comparison to bits, its really not an acceptable analogy.

Analog also continues to improve :) It did not stop at some sort of roadblock 50 years ago. I guess you could say its my opinion that analog is much more accurate. Also, I try to be careful not to assume that one example of the medium, whatever it is, is representative of the whole, just as one playback of such is not either.
Ralph,

Out of curiosity, what was the analog set-up that you had to compare to the high dollar digital playback?
Do you really think vinyl playback has progressed much if at all over the last 50 years? How about 20?

Maybe for a price. The cost of the best rigs today is outrageous compared to those days. And there certainly are not many good new records being produced.

So lets assume there is some progress but at significant ocst that most will not be interested in to play poorly made overpriced modern lps. Digital is still moving ahead at light speed in comparison and my rig is evidence that very good digital can be had these days for not very much. A $72000 digital system makes me laugh especially when the final judgement is the vinyl is still better.
Do you really think vinyl playback has progressed much if at all over the last 50 years? How about 20?

the biggest improvement in digital music reproduction happened over 10 years ago; dsd and SACD. when it came out i jumped in big time. now 10 years later the digital players are only marginally better. many people would not hear the difference between my first SACD player and my SOTA digital player now.

OTOH vinyl has been improving dramatically over that same time. all levels of vinyl playback have improved. technology advances and market demand have pushed vinyl perfromance much higher due to the much higher potential of the format. there is simply lots of information in those grooves that improving playback gear keeps uncovering.

i just recieved a new Durand Telos tonearm which further separates the very best digital and top level vinyl.