Preamp inverts phase question:

The owners manual of my preamp indicates that the preamp inverts phase: the circuit is phase inverting. Does this mean that I need to hook my speaker cables up backwards to correct the phase inversion... do I hook the positive speaker cable to the negative speaker binding post and visa versa with the negative speaker cable connections on both speakers?
adampeter
Victor Khomenko of BAT claims that 50% of recordings are recorded out of absolute phase. If true, it would make your question a mute point.
However, I would switch the + and - leads at the amplifier end, as I have done in my situation. My preamp also inverts polarity, and the manufacturer (VAC) recommends switching the leads at the amplifier instead of at the speaker terminals.

You can always experiment on your own, and no damage will be done.

Cheers,
John
Kusina,
My preamp is always phase inverted; no switches to go back and forth to switch phases. It is a Joule Electra LA-150 MK2.
Regards,

Adam
Most think that inverted and non inverted options on preamp is for switching back and forth for certain recording, although one can do this and it can have an affect, this is not the true nature of what it is for.

It is about matching components!
If your preamp is inverted then you should be (in a perfect world) using an amp that is non inverted.
Like wise if your using a preamp that is non inverted, then you want an amp the is inverted.

When there is a mismatch that is when reversing the speaker wires will solve the problem.

On some systems it will be noticeable on others, not so much. I have found when setup properly it can affect sound stage and bass, listen to female vocals will have more depth as well.
Benie, again, since many discs are recorded in mixed polarity and the rest are half "normal" and half "inverted," I don't think your argument holds water. On the mixed discs, the polarity setting doesn't matter ( although I have discs where I can pop the vocalist out front with one polarity setting and push him back into the mix with the other). Only a polarity switch or speaker cable switching will "fix" the others. The electronics are basically inconsequential. And the speakers -- the way they're wired internally -- are key to whether the effect is audible or not.
Better do what the manual says. Who cares if you can't hear it. I have a Cary SLP98P and if have to reverse the wires on my speakers. Why take a chance of damaging or ending the life of something earlier than necessary?