Are Sound Waves Able To Penetrate Canvas Painting?

I am planning to use canvas material to cover up some absorption panels. Will this be a feasible idea? Will the surface of canvas able to let the sound waves penetrate through effectively, or will it totally reflect the sound off the surface? I know that an acoustically transparent fabric is the best(I already have them at side walls) but am thinking of some kind of beautiful art at the front wall behind the speakers.

Any opinions or advice would be most appreciated.
ryder
I have been using canvas art to tweak first reflections for many years. It does seem to do "something" beneficial. As to whether it is good in absolute terms, I'm not sure. But I can tell the imaging is not as good without the paintings, and that is good enough for me. Not to mention they look great.

Arthur
Fabric has to be open weave to work. I wish canvas could work since WAF would be way much less a concern.

Luis
Thanks for the response Arthur. That is all I need to hear. By the way, I guess you didn't place any absorption panels behind the canvas art?
Didn't see that coming. Yes Luis, I do know that the fabric needs to be open-weave. I was somehow hoping that a small portion of the sound waves might still be able to pass through the canvas, further absorbed by the panels.