What made you select "audio" as your hobby

I've read many posts here on Audiogon as to the extremes many of you have gone in pursuing sound perfection.
I wonder what made you select this "nutty hobby" in the first place??
goldeneraguy
Hello Goldeneraguy, I grew up in Grand Rapids, Michigan and I still can call the same group of guys friends. The Yamaha NS1000 speakers were my dream speakers back then. Best regards, Stan
Dad had a great old Nordmende(?) console and collected folk,jazz,Perry,Dean,Frank,Torme etc.I think he had every Limelighters & Kingston Trio album. Wonderful memories.Ma&Grandma taught music. I'm appreciative of my enjoyment of music. It's a beautiful hobby to grow old with.
I guess I was destined to pick this up as I used to play with the Gramophone as a five year old. The discovery of Stereophile, being stationed in Japan where I picked a new pair of B&W 802 S2 cheap and a trip to the Adelphi in Singapore also helped.
I grew up in a household that had tube gear, often kits, homemade speakers, reel to reel tape a "wired" house with speakers in 4 locations w/remote switching. My dad was a ham (W3SQE)so I was a Dx'er as a kid.He loved music too. In the 60's as a wee lad I remember jazz, Johnny Mathais, The Messiah evey year at this time and good comedy like Stan Freiberg, Elaine Mays comedy duo (forgot the guy) I am my fathers son! Thanks Dad!

ET