Great Overall Career Arc -- Group/Solo

I'm interested in opinions on great artist who started out in a great band(s) and then went on to have equally great or better solo careers. The starting band can be relatively short-lived (at least 2 albums), but the solo career should be long-lived, or vice versa.

An obvious example would be John Lennon, but after thinking about it I don't think he qualifies. Is his solo work really as good or better than his original group work? I think the same applies to Brian Wilson, Smokey Robinson, Eric Clapton, Phil Collins, George Clinton or Sting.

I'm thinking more along the lines of Neil Young (Buffalo Springfield), Bryan Ferry (Roxy Music), Gram Parsons (Byrds & Flying Burrito Bros.), Jeff Beck (Yardbirds), Micheal Jackson (Jackson 5), Dave Alvin (Blasters) or even Robin Trower (Procol Harum).

Who would you include on this list?
128x128onhwy61
Post removed 
My criteria are great group and great solo careers.

ok, just to be a little more provocative, by this criteria I think many of these listed would be disqualified. I had thought of Robbie Robertson - and I like him a lot, but has he really had a great solo career? I would for sure think Van Morrison belongs on the list, but was "Them" a great band?

Further, why disqualify folks like Eric Clapton, Phil Collins (I don't like his solo albums but really like his other project work like "Brand X"; none the less, his solo albums were very popular), and maybe even Sting, other than you're not a fan? It's hard to argue that they haven't had great solo careers, or played with great, successful bands.
I think Robbie Robertson's solo work is of superior quality. I could see where some people would add Levon Helm to this list. I also rank Jack Bruce's solo career higher than Eric Clapton's, but both pale when compared to their work with Cream.

How about Donald Fagen (Steely Dan), Robert Fripp (King Crimson) and Jorma Kaukonen/Jack Casady (Jefferson Airplane). While technically Kaukonen and Casady are two different people, career wise they really can be thought of as a single entity.

It's all just opinion.