Why does most new music suck?

Ok I will have some exclusions to my statement. I'm not talking about classical or jazz. My comment is mostly pointed to rock and pop releases. Don't even get me started on rap.... I don't consider it music. I will admit that I'm an old foggy but come on, where are some talented new groups? I grew up with the Beatles, Who, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix etc. I sample a lot of new music and the recordings are terrible. The engineers should be fired for producing over compressed shrill garbage. The talent seems to be lost or doesn't exist. I have turned to some folk/country or blues music. It really is a sad state of affairs....Oh my god, I'm turning into my parents.
goose
To paraphrase Edgar Quintet -- civility and good manners are ordinarily the last refuge of a degenerate nobility.

One aspect of good music is knowing the rules and when to break them. The same applies to good conversation.
I would have used the word 'vestige' in place of refuge. However, 'refuge' is the place I go as it applies to music, being a built house.
06-05-13: Onhwy61
To paraphrase Edgar Quintet -- civility and good manners are ordinarily the last refuge of a degenerate nobility.
I have read a great number of your posts, Onhwy61, and found them generally entertaining, intelligent, and friendly. This one seems out of place, to put it politely. You can't really be calling me "degenerate" for commenting on the tenor of this thread.

Bryon
No I am not calling you degenerate. That would be completely uncalled for based upon anything I've read from you. It would also be rude. What I've done is quote someone who has pointed out that good manners and civility are a method used by one class of society to oppress another sector of that society. The implication is that you are trying to impose civility upon this thread as an attempt to silence opinions that disagree with yours. I doubt that was your intention, but that may well be the effect.

The OP offered an opinion, somewhat rudely stated, about today's music. At some point the thread veered towards talk of the end of civilization with teacher's union as a main culprit. I guess Albert Shanker really does get hold of nukes. I don't think the OP was taking himself as seriously as others are taking this topic. This thread could have been titled "What's Wrong With Me That I Can't Relate to Today's Popular Music?"
Thank you, Onhwy61, for your thoughtful response. It is not easy to be thoughtful during a disagreement, and I genuinely appreciate it. I have a reaction to your post, and I hope you will find it similarly reasonable...
What I've done is quote someone who has pointed out that good manners and civility are a method used by one class of society to oppress another sector of that society. The implication is that you are trying to impose civility upon this thread as an attempt to silence opinions that disagree with yours. I doubt that was your intention, but that may well be the effect.
Though I understood the meaning of the quote, I failed to appreciate your interpretation that my comments might, intentionally or not, silence opinions that disagree with mine. It certainly was not my intention to silence anyone, as you mentioned. In fact, my intention was exactly the opposite. It was to point out some comments that I felt might be intended to silence opposition. It is ironic and unfortunate that, in my attempt to challenge what I perceived to be peremptory comments, I made what you perceived to be peremptory comments. You have my apology for that.

Those who are familiar with my posting history will know that I have no problem with differences of opinion. My first comment on this thread reflects that. If it weren't for differences of opinion, this site and those like it would be very boring. I made the comments I did because I felt that the thread was veering into territory where nothing constructive gets said, because people have dug their heels in too deep. You have resisted the temptation to do that, and I thank you for it.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Bryon