Dylan's Voice/ Better Now?

I have been listening to Modern Times for the past couple of months in my car. I am sort of responding to another person comment in another thread, that to him Dylan sounds like a dead frog. He said he could not listen to any Dylan recordings after a certain year, in the late 60's or 70's.
I think Dylan's voice is like a fine wine, it just keeps getting better as it ages. I love his voice on his last few albums. I like the grumble, croakiness, of his "frog" voice.
To me, there is way more interest, depth, and soul to his voice in his latter recordings.
Where do you stand regarding Bob Dylan's voice. Is it shot? Tolerable? or fantastic?
Todd
toddnkaya
I like old Dylan, new Dylan...any Dylan is ok with me. I find that any of his albums take several listenings before they become part of your DNA, so give them a chance. For voice, I prefer his middle period (Infidels, Desire, Street Legal), probably because I have heard them so often. I understand the criticism of Dylan's voice in recent years, but I'll still buy any new album that he puts out. It's the words I'm listening to, and if Dylan's singing them, I'm listening!
I saw Dylan way back in the early days when he was starting to become a star. I think this concert was the first time I saw people light matches (not cell phones) waving to the music. Of course the matches were already out for other purposes (a dense fog if I remember).

At that time you could actually understand the words he was singing.
"Bob's singing works for his stuff"

TO me that's all that matters. I like the rough edges it adds to the otherwise smooth grooves found in many of his more recent recordings. It has a worn quality that reflects the years of use on it and adds credibility to the message of the song. It's never been pretty or technically refined. That's always been a big part of the Dylan package, like it or leave it. Still the case only more so.
I love Dylan but the simple fact is his voice has faded as the years have passed.

It is unique, it does carry character but it's like suggesting he looks as good as he did in the 60's.

It's the nature of things, they've changed.