American Folk/Bluegrass music to die for

Over the years, I have developed a sincere appreciation for American folk music that crosses a variety of genres. Here is a list of some of the recordings (mainly instrumental) that really opened my eyes to this hybrid sound that I have grown to truly embrace.

Appalachia Waltz - Yo Yo Ma, Edgar Meyer, Mark O'Connor. The first album I was exposed to having this type of sound and to this day one of my most cherished recordings. A three musicians are masters of their instruments and it shows. Classical influence to this sound, very interesting and unique crossover album. Unfortunately, it will likely never make it to vinyl.

Appalachian Journey - Follow up to the above album. Alison Krauss steps in for a song or two as does James Taylor. Beautiful album.

Short Trip Home - Sam Bush, Edgar Meyer, Mike Marshall, Joshua Bell. Another outstanding album, a bit more folky than the others above and just a pleasure to listen to.

Telluride Sessions - Strength In Numbers. A must own - wonderful from start to finish. If you enjoy this genre this is one of the very best albums I have heard.

Skip, Hop and Wobble - Russ Barenberg, Edgar Meyer, Jerry Douglas. Another not so well known new folk great. Good
recording too.

Slide Rule - Jerry Douglas. Solid performance and good recording quality.

Uncommon Ritual - Edgar Meyer, Bela Fleck, Mike Marshall. Good mix of music from three artists with three different styles. Definitely some solid cuts.

For new folk with vocals I have heard some Alison Krauss and Nickel Creek albums which I have really enjoyed but it is the acoustic and progressive folky sound of the above recordings that really seem to move me.

I hope some of you check out the free music clips of these recordings on Amazon, maybe you will discover some different sounds that move you like they did for me.

Cheers,
Chris

chris74
Have to agree with several already listed.

These may be from a different point of view, but great music & excellent recordings.

Jorma Kaukonen - Blue Country Heart
Bill Frisell - Nashville
Hank Dogs - half smile
Bela Fleck - The BlueGrass Sessions
Kevin Desabrais - Nothing but the Road
Jerry Douglas - anything he plays on
David Grisman Quartet or Quintet
The Infamous Stringdusters
the collaboration album by Ricky Skaggs and Bruce Hornsby
anything by Tim O'Brien
The New Grass Revival
Tony Rice
I would get the 3 "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" CDs. First is a 3 CD set [ be sure to get the remastered one, the original was unlistenable compared to the LPs] the second a single CD and the third a 2 CD set. Everyone from Mother Maybelle to Johnny Cash to Ray Acuff to whoever. I hate to admit that I am old enough to have heard Bill Monroe when Vassar was playing violin with him. Also check out the "Old and in the Way" recordings. Besides the original there are several others with alternate takes and different material that Garcia and the gang did at a local club in the 70s. Supposedly they met Vassar at the airport in California; he knew the others but knew nothing about Rock, on their way back he saw a large billboard with a Dead ad and said " Jerry, there's your picture up there" He had no idea who he was except that he was a good musician. Crooked Still is good also, their live CD has the best sound but is hard to get. I have a LOT of folk, too much to short list.
A few classics come to mind:

Death on the Mountain (Bill Watkins)
This Ring Will be My End (Loyd Turner and Family)
Mama's Grave (Dusty Mountain Boys)
City of Stone (Del McCoury)
The Hangin' Tree (Cecil Hawkins)
Our Love Died Tonight (The Pine City Ramblers)
...these are the best, but the genre is full of them.