Jazz vocals recommendations please

My music tastses have become much more eclectic and I'm moving away from classic rock & pop & increasingly interested in jazz & progressive rock. Any suggestions re: well-recorded jazz with strong instrumentals, percussion and nice vocals? I've discovered Diana Krall & have most of her work. Patricia Barber musically nice but a bit too dark in mood for me (more like blues). Any and all suggestions welcome!!
klipschking
Check out Hope Waits (no relationship to Tom). She does not sing jazz but more of a jazzy, bluesy, rock mix. Her debut gets high marks on artistic merit and very high on sound quality.

I think she deserves more attention than she's gotten, but she may be a little too close to Norah Jones territory for her own good. I think she's better than Norah and recommend her to everyone.
Tomcy6,

I just bought the Hope Waits CD and agree that the similarity of her vocals to Norah Jones is uncanny and also that I prefer her to Norah.

However, I found the sound of the Hope Waits CD to be a bit sterile and thin (just as with Norah Jones' releases) compared to the best.
Kurt Elling has a great voice. I believe he is on the Concorde label and appears on some Naim recordings.
Johnny Hartman and John Coltrane is a superb recording from every perspective.
Just bought two Eva Cassidy CDs. Phenomenal sound and music. A must add to the list...

Merry Christmas!!