Best sounding Beethoven symphony LPs

I would like to replace my late '80s Beethoven symphony CD's with a dynamic, great sounding boxed set of LPs. I prefer more of a front row than a fifteenth row perspective. Any suggestions?
Ag insider logo xs@2xcrazee01
Since my previous (useless) post, I have found that I actually have two boxed sets of Beethoven on LP:

Szell/Cleveland (1970) - avoid this one, for sure; sonics stink (very inconsistent, especially from side A to side B in the same symphony!), though I agree with some of the interpretatoins (the funeral march in 3 is just great!)

Toscannini/NBC - I have actually 5 sets of this. (don't ask) The recordings are great and the performances are great. The sonics (all mono) suffer from their technology, but are at the top of the pack for the time. If you can find this cheap and in good condition, get it and listen. I would not go terribly out of my way to find it, though, nor would I pay top dollar, but it is absolutely essential to have and hear.
For sound, the old ones aren't the standard. The rec's you have received are decidedly uncharacteristic.

No one on several boards I know say to avoid Szell's set, whether it's the 70 reissue, the Epic box, etc. All the performances are good. Every symphony.

I always disagree with Carlos Kleiber as best 5th. Just get the CD of both, cheap.

HVK 63 is very good as a set, although some dislike fast superficial 6th.

that's what I believe, after collecting symphony recordings for over 35 years now.
I have the Solti boxed set (Decca) of all of Beethoven's symphonies and completely love it - a great recording (IMO) and Solti's treatments, especially of the 7th(my all-time favorite) and 9th, are truly spectacular.
Regards,
Byron
I know this was a year ago, but I am going to retroactively open my mouth and further insert my foot (not unusual) and fully endorse the Cleveland/Szell set. I am listening right now to the 1970 issued boxed set of Beethoven symphonies. The playing is just fantastic - articulate and passionate, and the sonics are really, really good - bordering on spectacular.

For the record, we all live and learn. I knew the performances are highly acclaimed, but I was not impressed with the sonics of the pressings. I am revisiting with a different cartridge a year later and I am just smitten with this set.

Lastly, the strings are outstanding, but those winds are absolutely phenomenal. Wow! Stunning! If you (the original poster) happen upon this old thread again, give the Szell set a listen. You might like it.

For the record (pun somewhat intended), I am using a ProJect Xperience fitted with a Dynavector 10x5, playing through a McIntosh C26, MC2100, and ML1Cs.
Great sounding as far as sonics - Vanska, Mackeras' most recent set. Great performances - Furtwangler - particularly the 9th on EMI, Karajan's 1960's cycle. Personally, I'd pick the performance over the sonics any day.