The Best CDs to Give as Presents

Here is a great idea: instead of bringing yet another bottle of wine to someone's dinner party.....

What CDs do you nominate to give as a present where:

a) There is at least a chance they wouldn't have it already

and

b) For any particular genre of music, both artist and performance could please a discriminating audience.

c) As usual EXTRA CREDIT! for good recordings!

Of course, you should stick to the wine and/or flowers for your audiophile friends who already have 10,000 CDs....

But hopefully this might grow into a useful list for normal music appreciating friends, family and business associates.

I have had some success with Vince Guaraldi for Christmas stocking stuffers and Patricia Barber for non audiophiles who like jazz.

This thread was inspired by my need to give some "classical" music to a friend who is a patron of the NY Philharmonic, but I otherwise have no idea regarding his tastes or collection.

Should recent reissues or remasters also be included?

Thank you and hope this is interesting for others.
cwlondon
You need to understand your host's musical tastes otherwise the CD will just end up in a cupboard or Ebay, So for a dinner a bottle of wine will do better and you can choose a less wines from a less traditional wine production country.

Coming back to your question, they are unlikely to have anything from Mina Agossi
This would make a nice gift to be played a a dinner party or anytime. Houston Person "In A Sentimental Mood"(HighNote HCD 7060). Saxophone, piano, bass and drums. The salesman at Virgin Altantic, at Times Square, said He would always sale 5 or 6 of this CD when He played it in the store.
If I were giving music to a classical music lover and he/she liked Bach and Baroque, I'd give the Zelenka Trio Sonatas on ECM with Heinz Holliger playing oboe. Performance, recording and music all are top-notch. Having listened to Bach all my life I find Zelenka in some ways a relief -- less virtuosic, more melodic and still brilliant.