Wilco on Austin City Limits

I saw them on Austin City Limits recently and was really impressed with this band. They have a great sound, interesting lyrics and Nels Cline is an absolute MF on the guitar.

Anybody heard Nels new album?
128x128lokie
Wilco seems increasingly shaped by Cline's loft jazz-- which is both good and bad in the sense that while the band has become more experimental and technically polished, it has strayed further from roots and R&R. Agree with Loomis that the head went with Wilco and the heart with Uncle Tupelo and further into Son Volt and Gob Iron. The latest Son Volt & Gob Iron albums are very fine and confirm Farrar's seriousness & lasting importance. I can do without most of Uncle Tupelo and early Wilco, but not without Farrar's recent mature incarnations.

Paste magazine is not a credible music rag. There's no such thing really. It's commercial music we're talking about. Ranking JAY FARRAR 98 & jeff tweedy 24, is obviously a misprint.

Wilco is better than any "commercial" band out there today except SON VOLT; who are not - so there ya go.

Have you heard SUITE: BITTERSWEET (Nels Cline/Wally Shoup/Greg Cambell); it's a live radio broadcast - on vinyl, 10/29/2005 from Sonarchy Radio in Seattle. It's free form jazz and man is it a stink bomb. He's lucky to be in wilco. Jeff just wishes he had Mark Spencer playing with him instead of Nel's.
The record that I have played more than any is Summerteeth with the late Jay Bennett.
Wish I gotten some of Rockyboy's 2007 action on the impending demise of Wilco!

Saw Uncle Tupelo a few times in the early 90s -- in 1990, in the nearly empty Blind Pig in Ann Arbor, which was a revelation. A truly remarkable band. I enjoyed the first Son Volt and Wilco releases (the material on both rather like their Uncle), but less so the later stuff.

I second Streetdaddy on Whiskeytown.

Others to look for in the UT genre are the (sadly defunct) Nadine (esp. "Downtown Saturday"), Slobberbone, and Two Cow Garage (The latter two often give s**t kicking shows).

Off to listen to Fleetwood Mac with Rockyboy!

John