Pat Metheny Fans, Great Suggestions Please ??

Hello,

I have Secret Story, We Live Here and Imaginary Day.

I know his styles vary from album to album, but I'm looking for some stuff that sounds great cranked-up or low-level, beautiful, involving and long-term (asking a lot)

The 30-60 second samples give a fraction of say, what a 14 minute song has, so it's kinda difficult to get a handle on the changing improvs.

I did like what I "managed" to hear from Pat Metheny Group with Mays, Egan and Gottlieb "San Lorenzo"
128x128rx8man
"American Garage" and "Travels" are excellent. Travels has a long jam "Are you going with me?" that's always been one of my favorite songs (ie by anyone). The energy of the audience reaction really adds to the performance. This one needs to be cranked!

"The Way Up" came out in 2005 and I like it a lot (probably better than American Garage). It's a little more progressive than his other work. One review I read by a jazz purist said it's a "Prog-Rock" release and he didn't like it for that reason. It's hardly prog rock, but it is unique for Metheny.

"One Quiet Night" is an absolute must have. You MUST have it. It's solo acoustic, recorded on a baritone guitar. It's an amazing piece by anyone. I'm surprised noone mentioned it above.

You may also look into his work with Gary Burton. Gary was his mentor - discovered him so to speak. I have "Ring" by the Gary Burton Quintet, and while it's not the distinctive Pat Metheny sound, it features his un-mistakable guitar work. And he was only 17 years old when it was recorded!
I'm one HUGE metheny fan - have pretty much everything he's recorded, seen him live many times, met him, etc. I would preview all these on itunes and read the user reviews too. On itunes radio you'll find the official Pat Metheny radio station - just let that stream for 5 or 6 hours - you'll hear some amazing stuff.

The "group" (PMG) has two eras - the ECM period and the Geffen period. I won't even get into the "non-group" albums yet...

ECM: the first and last albums from ECM are my faves;
Definitely get the "group" album/"white" album you mentioned above - I think every song is wonderful - very melodic and lyrical. He opened every live show with "Phase Dance" for almost 30 years - up until recently. But unfortunately will sound hissy on most high end systems - production is not very polished, but maybe his most accessible and melodic album.

First Circle - his last album on ECM is very important - he started stepping up the production value and going "orchestral" in compositonal scope. Has a few songs you might not like - but the title track still gets a standing ovation every time he plays it live. Its like a symphonic masterpiece.

Travels (live) and Offramp would be my next favorites on ECM - the best song from that era is "Are you going with me?" which appears on both of these two albums. Incredibly romantic and emotional song.

Then on Geffen he started with Still Life Talking which happens to be my favorite on Geffen - with the hit ballad Last Train Home and Minauno and Third Wind - all 3 have been part of his live show not too long ago. But you seem to be a bigger fan of the Geffen stuff that I am so maybe our tastes are a little different but I'm old school.

The PMG is not touring of late but do whatever you can to go see him live. How many guys can play 300 shows a year 3 hours each for the last 30 years... and after each show I could name 10 or 20 more songs that I wish he'd done. I don't think you will see musicianship like this in any other live show.
Check out my recents posts here re: PMG - on his stuff with Michael Brecker, Charlie Haden etc also.

Enough of my ranting - but feel free to ask me anything metheny related anytime.
Rx8man - 'The Pat Metheny Group' (aka White Album) is one of the best pieces of music that you will spend your money on - EVER. 'Travels' would be my next pick. Also check around for used copies of "Pat Metheny Works" releases put out by ECM. They contain great samplings of his earlier work if you want a taste of his direction from album to album.
Certainly a lot to like from Metheny/Mays. In addition to those already mentioned, try:
Letter from Home
The First Circle
Still Life(talking)
The Way Up
You will like the one with "San Lorenzo," which may have been the first release. For something really interesting, try Bob Curnow's LA Big Band doing some amazing transcriptions of some of the M/M pieces. You might also like the new release Metheny did with pianist Brad Mehldau--very enjoyable. I second the suggestion to check out the Lyle Mays solo work. Enjoy the music!