music these days....

I was flipping channels today and noticed a show where Beyonnce was being interviewed.

She stated without hesititation and with comfort and conviction something to the effect that "when I write music I feel more empowered than I could be in real life"

So, the last I checked, Beyonnce has about ZERO % influence on her music, I have no doubt that she writes the lyrics, but writing lyrics aint on the same level as writing music or creating music.

Most lyrics these days could be written by a 12 year old.

Is it just me, but does this bother you? It bothers me, because it provides too much underserved credibility to todays "artists". I think if you take the average person, especially a 15 year old, they can't make the distinction or perhaps don't care enough to investigate. I feel this opens the door to every talentless Joe or Jane (see American Idol tryouts) who thinks they can do the same which could answer why we are in this sad state of Popular Music these days.
128x128justlisten
"What an ignorant statement. You're discounting 25 years of music composition"

No I'm not. I accounted for it and am of the opinion that it sucks.
"03-29-07: Pawlowski6132
Nothing good has happened in music since 1979."

Hellooooooooooooooooo!
Well seems like you touched a nerve in some folks ! For my own personal opinion . I feel that mainstream music does have some good things happening but I have to agree that marketing is more important than the actual music these days . Mtv has aided that trend , look back to bands like duran duran... fashion and haircuts then music . One of our fello goners stated something about ignorance for the last 25 years of music . Well an awful lot of good music is out there but its harder to find mainstream because of marketing did not think it would sell or you would not buy it and more importantly they would not make the coin themselves . Some of the more influentional music from the late 80's and 90,s came from the underground and now influence more bands to play "their" music without marketing being the main rule . Only problem is finding it in a sea of american idolism garbage .
I feel the great music is still being produced, you just have to seek it out & see below the surface of all the BS dished out for the spending masses.