Moody Blues "Question of bal." CD or SACD vs Vinyl

I no longer have the capability of playing vinyl. I do have two different versions of "Question of Balance". One is the MFSL version which I loved. Then I bought the new SACD version. Boy, what a difference. Actually, probably the biggest difference that I have seen with the SACD format.

Although the MFSL version is very clear and precise, the SACD version is more expansive and full. I don't know which is more truthful.

Would someone out there who has the vinyl and has compared it to either the MFSL CD or the newer SACD please comment on the comparison.

Please, no in general comment like "all CD's are crap", or "vinyl always is best". I am interested in which of the formats that I have is closest to "correct".

Thank you,
Richard
drrdiamond
I 've seen them 6 times, 1st in 1978 (Octave Tour), 3 times in this millenium. I agree the recordings all pale in comparison to the Moodies live today. THey have really honed their repertoire to perfection live on most any decent night. Like fine wine, they've actually improved live considerably over the years, despite age.

I could see where quad and surround would lend themselves well to the Moodies classic 7 recordings.

"Hall of Fame" is a good more recent live DVD to get a sample. I hear the more recent "Lovely To See You" DVD is even better.

I saw them live on the tour LTSY was recorded on (sans Ray Thomas, who recently retired). IT was an exceptional performance of an exceptional set of tunes.

Justin Hayward is one of the most talented singer/songwriter//guitarists in the business and is highly underrated as a guitar player in particular IMHO. His performances live with the Moodies is something to treasure.
I saw them this summer in Atlanta. They were good but I feel they are not what they once were. I really like Ray Thomas' replacemnt but still miss him being in the band. Legend of Mind is a fav.
I'm a big Ray Thomas fan but I was OK with him retiring. I've heard LEgend of a Mind on many occasion and was happy to see them fit in some other less recently heard tunes like The Actor and Are You Sitting Comfortably.

Would love to hear stuff from Seventh Sojourn like "You and Me" and "Land Of Make Believe".

Hooking back up with Michael Pinder would be interesting but I doubt it will ever happen if it hasn't already.
M. Pinder has released some of his own stuff as well as his son. I haven't heard any of it.
I agree that Justin is a fantastic songwriter, vocalist and has one of the sweetest guitar sounds ever. I was fortunate to catch Justin doing his solo tour (in 1996, I believe) at the Birchmere in Arlington, Va. He did the classic Moodies stuff along with solo efforts including several cuts from The View From the Hill album. I enjoyed the older Moodies concerts more than the more recent ones. They miss a lot without Pinder and Thomas vocals. Also the synthesizers are just not a as mellow as the mellotron /chamberlain. Pinder was the master, as he also worked for the company in his early years. Although he has not done anything lately, his albums "The Promise" and "Among the Stars" are nice. Again with the early Moodies, it was the vocals and Pinder & Thomas were as important as Hayward and Lodge. Unfortunately these days, Lodge's vocal are very erratic and in a couple of concerts attended, just plain bad. Solo efforts from Hayward, (Songwriter, Moving Mountains, and The View from the Hill) and Hayward - Lodges (Blue Jays) are also great.