Am I totally nuts or just a bit off?

A few weeks ago I came across about a hundred old mono pop jazz albums from the fifties in storage I had forgotten about.
Had some extended(3am extended) listening sessions using a Shure M78 S(sperical) tracking a little over 2 gms on my trusty Sony PS-X7 .

Sure seemed to me that mono was way cool especially in the LOW listening fatigue factor. Going on a Goodwill road trip next week-LOL,

Tell me again, why was stereo invented?
schubert
The very best stereo classical recordings are almost invariably those which have been recorded using a minimal number of microphones, perhaps just two or three, well placed in a good hall. And with minimal or no subsequent mixing, equalization, limiting, compression, or other processing.
Only true if you attach primacy to the sound of musicians performing in a space. If you're more interested in the just the sound of the musicians performing, then you need to be open to post recording manipulation. All performing spaces don't sound great. Microphone placement is always a compromise between tonality, detail and spatial info. Even in great sounding spaces there's no agreement about the best seats in the house. Each recording is unique and may require a different set of tools.
Of course, one man/women sitting on a stool reciting poetry might favor a mono recording. The more complex and numerous the musicians the larger the hall all lend to a multi microphone/input recording.

Casablanca is magical in black and white and I would not even watch it in color, neverless hdtv.
What I meant is when you mic live musicians (other than orchestras) through a normal PA system you can't mix it in stereo because some audience members are sitting much closer to one side than the other and would wonder why the drummer's high hat was missing and demand a refund and punch me in the face.
Many Classical Fans DO want a the sound of musicians in a space, For instance, I know what the Gewandhaus in Leipzig sounds like and thats what I want to hear.