Change the cartridge or phono stage

I am new to turntable tweaks and would like to warm up the sound of my new MF 5.1 turntable and 2.2 phono stage .
Are there any advantages/disadvantages or circumstances that
would predicate changing the cartridge or phono stage ?
I would like to get to the level of EL-34 tube warmth .

Thank You
saki70
I think that you will get more warmth from a cart or phono stage, rather than from a cable swap. But do not assume that a TT is just like an amp or CD player. The signal level is much much lower. Which makes cables from your cart to phono stage the most important in your system.

That said, look for a warm cart or phono stage. Grado is one place to look on the cart side, available at a number of price points. The EAR phono stages are often described as warm, but that may be outside your budget. Maybe others know less expensive phono stages that meet your criteria.
Elevick is correct; you want no coloration out of the table/arm/cartridge at all. Start with a good protractor, scale and a powerful magnifying glass. Adjust the VTA so the scale is at record surface height when you've dialed in the tracking weight you want to use. Next, get the stylus centered in the target and get the cantilever precisely aligned. Constantly re-check this part and take your time to get it just so. It will be worth it. After that's all done, listen to some material you know really well and decide if you think it is brash, muddy or blooms. Those are symptoms of incorrect VTA and damping/level/warp, respectively. After all those points are identified, you can then give thought to changing things. Note that the cartridge can have a big effect and should be a strong compliment to the speakers. Warmth is something that is usually best obtained with a tube component somewhere. There are a lot of different opinions on the best way to go with that end of things, so do your research first. Have fun & good luck!
See my comments about load capacitance, and the subsequent comment by Bill_k, in your other thread.

Regards,
-- Al
Just try the Herbies mat before spending more money and taking your tonearm apart. The sound may well be improved to your satisfaction.
I am not sure why everyone on this thread is obsessed with your set-up. I will assume that you have a cart that is properly set up and that any new cart will be set up properly by you or a dealer. Yes, this is very important.

Like many audio components, some carts and phono stages are warmer than others. Not knowing your phono stage or cart, I can't comment on the relative benefit of replacing one or the other. Though it is usually said that the transducers, which convert physical movement to electricity (carts) or electricity to physical movement (speakers) are the most important parts of the audio chain, and these may also exhibit the greatest variability.

You may get some good warm cart and phono stage recs in this thread, but there should also be a number of other threads with recs that offer suggestions.