Sleeper Debut Lps...70s classic rock

REO Speedwagon-Yes folks, there was an REO long before Kevin C. turned them into an arena, bubblegum hit machine...and this debut full of boogie rock goodness reflects that....if your vision of REO is corny power ballads...throw on "Sohpisticated Lady" and get down!

Black Oak Arkansas-Jim Dandy is an acquired taste...but on this release...his scratchy, hillbilly yelp is just right...greasy, naughty, and a bit weird in a Southern Bapist preacher way...this will clear a party...or start one....

Blue Oyster Cult...A long overlooked gem...as is Tyranny(2nd LP)...the tough, muscular, boogie machine of B.O.C. hits the head on this release...at times almost psychedelic...most times just darn mean...
128x128phasecorrect
Even The Beatles first real US album "Introducing the Beatles" was a big sleeper for a bit until "Meet The Beatles" came out soon after. Maybe the biggest in teh US of all time! Damn, I which I did not get rid of my original (bargain bin at the time) copy.
Even The Beatles first real US album "Introducing the Beatles" was a big sleeper for a bit until "Meet The Beatles" came out soon after. Maybe the biggest in teh US of all time! Damn, I which I did not get rid of my original (bargain bin at the time) copy. Might have been a counterfeit, but who cares.
I have two favorite sleeper debuts both from 1974. The Outlaws self titled first album with Green Grass & High Tides to me is the best southern rock album ever made. The second is Kansas' self titled debut. Most people have not heard this album and it is somewhat rare--but the intensity of the cuts and the vituoso playing is still great after 39 years.
Try the first self-titled Little River Band LP (Harvest), as well as the first Garland Jeffreys LP (Atlantic).