SUT advice

I am restoring a Garrard 401 and intend to mount a Ortofon 309D, the 12' version. I chose the 309D for the flexibility of removable head shells and intend to use, alternately the Ortofon Silver Meister SPU(0.3mV) and the Miyajima BE mono cart (0.7mV). I am looking for advice on a SUT, compatible with both carts that will be plugged into the MM input on my Nagra VPS phono.
This is a fun project and not to compete with my main vinyl rig.
Any suggestions/comments welcome
Thanks in advance
Pradeep
128x128sunnyboy1956
I tried Bob's DEvice's new Sky Cinemag SUT with my Ortofon Anna (.2mv, 4ohm ) into the MM stage of my Zesto Andros.

The SUT was Bob's demo unit with the low output section broken in, but not the high output section.

On high output section, it seemed a little bright and since I have a high gain preamp, I tried it at low output.

The overbrightness went away and I still had more than adequate volume for rock levels at 60 volume level on my preamp. It was an improvement over running directly into my MC stage on the Zesto. Bass was deeper and better defined. Treble was even more airy and there was more space around the instruments.

On Bob's recommendation, I have since gone back to the high gain setting in order to break in that part of the SUT. This yields the lowest possible noise floor as my preamp only needs to be at 40 max for rock level volume.

As I put more time on it, I have noticed the brightness going away, so this will be the setting I leave it on.

I have not AB'd other high end SUTs so can't comment on whether Bob's devices are better or worse, but I can say it's dead quite in my system and the results have been worth the $1250 intro price for the SKY.
petavgeris,

interesting post! do you sell these SUT's or work for a manufacturer? Curious to get more info...this post has me wondering if I should check out a different SUT...I am happy with what I have...but as you say...you never know until you try...thanks
Hello Sunnyboy.

Have you considered building your own? Not from scratch - but buying the transformers, resistors, connectors, and box. Advantages: save a PILE of money, use the components that YOU prefer, and get some real satisfaction from the result. I say this especially in light of Petavgeris' posting.

I use Sowter 8055's (OCC option) with Vishay VAR resistors and Relcap RTE styrene caps for the loading circuits. This improves considerably on the Koetsu SUT and rivals (but not quite equals) the big AN rig (direct comparisons in my own system). My cartridge is a Koetsu platinum (.3mV).
Hi Terry
Many thanks for your response. Any idea how much the DIY kit costs viv a vis some of the SUTs mentioned in this thread ?
Hello Sunnyboy.

Sowter transformers about 200 GBP for the pair (directly from Sowter), $100 for the resistors and caps. I use Eichmann female RCA's at $50/pair. The biggest advantage is flexibility: you can build in alternative resistances with a switch or two, and use that to tune your sound without the use of reactive tone controls. All in, less than $600; and that is using the type of premium components that few would use, unless they were charging 10x the price. After all, manufacturers have to make a living too.