Jolida JD9 settings for use with a Denon DL-160?

Greetings all,
I just picked up a nice deal on a used *original* (not the newer version) JD-9 phono preamp as an upgrade to my current TT/Cart setup - stock Technics SL-1200mkII and Denon DL-160 (HIGH output MC, 1.6mV)

My previous set up was using the built in phono pre input on my Musical Fidelity A5 integrated amp.

I checked the settings on the Jolida and the switches were set to 47kOhm (switch 4 on) and 47 pF (switch 5 on) with the gain at 55dB (ALL gain switches off).

I connected the HI outputs to the Tuner inputs (line level) on the A5 (I did not connect it back up to the phono inputs).

After letting the JD-9 warm up for 2 hrs, I put on my ultra quiet and nice sounding Friday Music release of Heart's Dreamboat Annie.

First impressions - wow - bright and brittle...lean sounding on the bottom end :-(

Turned everything off and reconnected the TT directly to the phono inputs.

Ah...back to the smoother, more liquid sound w/ better tonal balance and more oomph to the bottom end. :-)

So....any recommendations on how to set the JD-9?

Thanks,
Erik
erikt
I tried the LO outputs with the gain switches set to minimum or about 35dB - wasn't an issue with my A5 int amp - plenty of power.

I also tried changing the capacitance loading to zero and the impedance to 1kOhm.

Still too brittle...sssssibilance as well.

Little/no difference between 1k and 47k impedance loading.

I bought it used, so I assume there are some hours on the tubes, but don't know how many. And I need to check to see what tubes are in the unit as this is an *original* JD9 - not the newer version.
Erik; based on what you've posted you are using the right settings, so it may be the tubes. I find that the JD9 will convey a different sound depending on the tubes. My favorite tubes of the three I've tried were Mullard style tubes from Groove Tubes. That was with a Goldring Eroica H and an Audio-Technica AT33PTG. The Eroica (2.5mv) sounded better with a 1K load, and the low output 33PTG with a 100 Ohm load.

The tubes that came with my JD9 (purchased new) were Electro-Harmonix 12AX7 EH (Russian made) and I thought they were overly bright. The Groove Tubes 12AX7 M tubes sounded much better balanced (tonally) and had a pleasant, smooth sound. The sizzle of cymbals was still there but without the harshness. At least that's what I hear from the "M" tubes I purchased about six years ago.

Regards,
Tom

By the way, I'm running an A3.5 integrated and still think it's a great amp for the money.
i used 1k /w new version gold pin Tung Sol. i don't remember sibilance issues /w that.