To ring or not to ring?

Own a VPI Classic 3 with the heavyweight clamp (as well as the screw on clamp), but didn't spring for the periphery ring in order to hold down costs. My lps are in good condition; so, not sure I need a ring for the sole purpose of flattening warped lps. I can always switch to the screw on clamp if I ever come across one. But some reviews attribute sonic improvements to the rings. IMHO the VPI ring is very pricey. TT Weights offers a couple cheaper alternatives. Question is - even if I don't have any warped lps, would I glean sonic benefits from using a ring? And if so, does it really matter which ring I purchase?
rockyboy
Thanks for your input. If I start collecting pop cans along side the highway, forego an anniversary present for my wife, and not put anything in the collection plate at church, I may be able to afford the VPI ring.
I could never imagine using a turntable w/o vacuum hold down or a periphery ring. I like consistent VTA/VTF. Any edge warp at all without a ring and you won't have consistent vta/vtf during playback. Not to mention there is more wear and tear on the suspension as the warp spins and the cart is moving up and down.
I hate gimickey add on's, so this is a big recommendation coming from me; get the ring.

I have a classic 1, and I love the ring. I think it adds depth to the soundstage, and actually helps the speed stability (but I can't prove that, but it makes sense).

I love the Sota turntables as well, and the vacuum platters help so much, and this is really the same effect.

I also alway put my tables on a Gingko isolation platform. I've found those 2 tweaks have made a huge positive difference.
Will now try to convince my wife that this is really a "must have" accessory. Will be a hard sell.