To ring or not to ring?

Own a VPI Classic 3 with the heavyweight clamp (as well as the screw on clamp), but didn't spring for the periphery ring in order to hold down costs. My lps are in good condition; so, not sure I need a ring for the sole purpose of flattening warped lps. I can always switch to the screw on clamp if I ever come across one. But some reviews attribute sonic improvements to the rings. IMHO the VPI ring is very pricey. TT Weights offers a couple cheaper alternatives. Question is - even if I don't have any warped lps, would I glean sonic benefits from using a ring? And if so, does it really matter which ring I purchase?
rockyboy
Thanks for your input. If I start collecting pop cans along side the highway, forego an anniversary present for my wife, and not put anything in the collection plate at church, I may be able to afford the VPI ring.
I could never imagine using a turntable w/o vacuum hold down or a periphery ring. I like consistent VTA/VTF. Any edge warp at all without a ring and you won't have consistent vta/vtf during playback. Not to mention there is more wear and tear on the suspension as the warp spins and the cart is moving up and down.
I hate gimickey add on's, so this is a big recommendation coming from me; get the ring.

I have a classic 1, and I love the ring. I think it adds depth to the soundstage, and actually helps the speed stability (but I can't prove that, but it makes sense).

I love the Sota turntables as well, and the vacuum platters help so much, and this is really the same effect.

I also alway put my tables on a Gingko isolation platform. I've found those 2 tweaks have made a huge positive difference.
Will now try to convince my wife that this is really a "must have" accessory. Will be a hard sell.
Rockyboy,

In my collection virtually every other record, both new and used, displays some warp. A perfectly flat record is in my experience hard to find. My Delos has always handled the warps like a champ, but why subject your cartridge to this extra stress and wear? So yes, I'd say get a periphery ring.

I was also in a situation similar to yours, where I already stretched my budget to get the Classic so the VPI ring was out of the question. What I did was to go for a much cheaper TT Weights ring to "tide me over" until I could upgrade to the VPI ring. I had a TTW 600 gram copper ring for close to two yrs, if my memory is correct, and I finally upgraded last summer.

The TTW ring was I believe a bit over $300, and did a good job with most warps. I do like the VPI ring better though so I agree with most here who advised you to go for the real thing, when you can. Sonically, the difference was audible, but not significant. I like the design of the VPI better as placing it is easier as it fits the platter, not the record. The horror stories you mentioned must be from users who were either careless or very drunk, or both, for if you're careful with placing the ring and lowering the stylus, there is virtually no way to damage anything.

However, equally if not more important to me was the knowledge that the record being played is flat, and my Delos does not have to struggle to stay afloat like a boat fighting against big waves. That feeling alone is worth investing in a ring, whether VPI or TTW, IMO.

Lastly, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but a quick question for those who have the Classic with a 300 rpm motor: do you know whether you can use the SDS with it? I'm thinking of upgrading from a 600 rpm motor and wonder whether I could continue using the SDS with a different motor. Mike from VPI is impossible to get. Thanks.