When a Reviewer "likes" something

... what does that mean in your opinion. I read in one of the last Stereophile mags a comment from Mr. Atkinson where he wrote about the differences in "opinions" in forums or in printed mags. After all he ended with the argument, a component is good when a reviewer likes it.
Isn't is more helpful, when a reviewer knows something about a real tone reproduction? Or is it ok, when he used every month another CD or LP he got for free, a kind of music nearly no one wants to listen to?
Harry Pearson used in the 90's always the same records for his reviews but that was an exception I think.
What is it worth for you when - for example - Mr. Dudley/Fremer/Valin/HP .... "likes" something? Do you have the same "taste" they have?
I know it is possible to like a Turntable even when that unit can't hold the proper speed, or is extremely sensitive to any influences, there are endless recommendations written about such units...what is it worth for you?
Atkinson for example measures units, some have top datas but they can sound very boring, far away from the real thing, some have no top datas, some "tests" are shortened because a unit can reach a area which can be pretty dangerous (see one of the latest Agostino units, just as an example) but they are rated Class A in recommendations anyway....
When someone "knows" what is right or not, then his "liking" is only a personal opinion which is more or less uninteresting or?
Most customers (not all of course) would prefer to know what a unit is really able to do sonically, or not? Would knowledge destroy the joy of Hardware rolling? Or is there a reason why reviewers use low efficiency speakers when they have a tube amp for review (for example Lamm ML2.1/ML2.2 with Magico Speakers)? Is the matching "expensive + expensive" the proper way to show competence?
128x128syntax
Dear friends: Whom is not " biased " for whatever reason(s)?, not only the reviewers, audio dealers, manufacturers/designers but each one of us. Problem is if that reason(s) we are " biased " are " honest " one(s).

Now, think for a moment that audio magazines never existed and do not exist today: where all we been? where the audio industry been? do you think that the high-end niche could exist and grow up?

For the good or bad audio magazynes are a " necessity "/a must to have especially for the new-comers/newbie/rockies and to inform all of us the audio news.

Are any one of you interested in what were disclosed on the CES in Las Vegas or at the Rockyfest or other Audio Shows? could you be interested on audio community meetings and its shedules? could you be interested in what to do and what not to do because the reviews? and I can go on and on about.

The problem for some of us is that many of us already grow up, already learned on almost any audio subject and already know the Audio Trues and the Audio Myths that were and are promoted by magazynes in favor of the industry not in favor of we customers but the rockies do not know nothing and the magazynes makes a " favor " to all of them. Not the best favor but that's it.

If we analize the high end audiophiles that belongs to that market we can fall in count that we all are over 50+ years old. What could be happen when all of us die if there are no more new comers because there are no magazynes to inform about?, it doesw not matters that that information is away of true.

Maybe I'm wrong but IMHO almost all of us " learned " about high end thank's to audio magazynes, in the past our ignorance level on audio subjects was really high compared with today level.

The best we had in those old times were: Stereo Review, High Fidelity or Audio that were full of measurements but with very low " subjective " opinions.

We knew and know about ML, Threshold, Audio Research, Conrad Jhonson, Lamm, Wilson, Thiel and the like thank's to Stereophile/TAS and not because Stereo Review, right?, so we have to give the right merit has those magazynes.

I still read those magazynes and normally I do to be informed of the audio news and to learn what not do: because our each one know-how level we know when any reviewer is wrong ( it does not matters his entusiam for an item ) and trhotugh that " is wrong " we will know or confirm what not to do.
There are some reviews that provocate laugh reviews that are a shame for the reviewers but unfortunatelly they are unaware about.

IMHO I think that some of the " top " reviewers have higher know how level on audio subjects that almost any one of us the problem is that they can't share that unvaluable/high value audio information because they are important part, as any of us, of the Audio High End Establishment ( AHEE. ) and have to protect it and have to protect it even if with the information they share with us in reality are given us a disinformation that unfortunatelly is what is happening today.

That not disclosed information and that disinformation is one of the reasons why the high end does not grow up faster.

IMHO all those magazyne reviewers are corrupted and IMHO are corrupted because on purpose are hidden value information for us customers and not only that are not disclosing information but at the same time they are given us disinformation, to these actions I name it: CORRUPTION, maybe with more damage to the customers than if they receive d " money " .

Why many audiophiles are running their systems with tube electronics? because is the best audio technology? certainly not but because was what the magazynes taught us in the past and we believe it in that way and trhough the time our ears are already equalized to that kind of electronics and it does not matters the damage level to the audio signal can do.

Why many of you own only top LOMC cartridges and no single MM/MI one?, because we learned that LOMC are the way to go and no one told us that exist other alternatives.

Why till some years ago almost all own BD TT instead DD ones? why till a few years ago almost all of us used tonearm with fixed headshell instead removable headshell designs? wy till some years ago alomost no one here used subwoofers in their systems? why.....? why.....? and why......?

We still live in the " error " thak's to those magazynes and through internet forums we were learning slowly to we can liberate for ever on those several " errors/myths/mistakes " with we are living in each one audio system.

The forums as this one ( Agon ) is the only today possibility to learn and grow up faster than the audio industry, is the only way to correct our system mistakes. We can't do it through those magazynes and this fact is a shame for those magazynes/reviewers because in theory those audio magazyne main target is to inform to inform true information teaching to us customers.

Don't blame magazynes and today maybe some of us have to blame our selfs to not learned enough to correct our " mistakes ".

The best new is that all of us can improve if we give an opportunity to learn a new opportunity to learn what not to do through magazynes and what to do through internet forums.

I think that no one can stop that AHEE overall corruption that touched almost all those reviewers.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.
I agree that readers must take what they read with a grain of salt but it's also important to have realistic expectations. What did you expect from a review? Audio reviews aren't that much different than those for cars, movies or food. I can't tell which car I'd rather drive or guarantee that I will like a movie just by reading about it.

I think most reviewers are people of good faith. Though It certainly helps to get a measure of their likes, and dislikes and I think some are better than others. I still don't know what Art Dudley is talking about some of the times (some equipment plays notes, but others doesn't??) But I think he's honest. Bob Neil does a very good job of describing equipment and he's a dealer. I don't trust a word that comes out of Robert Harley's keyboard. Once I get a beat on reviewer, I can usually get some idea of how relevant their opinions are to me.

Audio has so many variables, cost so much money and is a bit of an obsession with many of us so we can fall prey to looking for easy answers but there aren't any. I enjoy it more when I don't worry too much about reviewers and such.
Dear friends: Whom is not " biased " for whatever reason(s)?, not only the reviewers, audio dealers, manufacturers/designers but each one of us. Problem is if that reason(s) we are " biased " are " honest " one(s).

Now, think for a moment that audio magazines never existed and do not exist today: where all we been? where the audio industry been? do you think that the high-end niche could exist and grow up?

For the good or bad audio magazynes are a " necessity "/a must to have especially for the new-comers/newbie/rockies and to inform all of us the audio news.

" Wrong/bad with them but worst with out them ".

Are any one of you interested in what were disclosed on the CES in Las Vegas or at the Rocky-mountain or other Audio Shows? could you be interested on audio community meetings and its shedules? could you be interested in what to do and what not to do because the reviews? and I can go on and on about.

The problem for some of us is that many of us already grow up, already learned on almost any audio subject and already know the Audio Trues and the Audio Myths that were and are promoted by magazynes in favor of the industry not in favor of we customers but the rockies do not know nothing and the magazynes makes a " favor " to all of them. Not the best favor but that's it.

If we analize the high end audiophiles that belongs to that market we can fall in count that we all are over 50+ years old. What could be happen when all of us die if there are no more new comers because there are no magazynes to inform about?, it does not matters that that information is away of true.

Maybe I'm wrong but IMHO almost all of us " learned " about high end thank's to audio magazynes, in the past our ignorance level on audio subjects was really high compared with today level.

The best we had in those old times were: Stereo Review, High Fidelity or Audio that were full of measurements but with very low " subjective " opinions and certainly not high end products.

We knew and know about ML, Threshold, Audio Research, Conrad Jhonson, Lamm, Wilson, Thiel and the like thank's to Stereophile/TAS and not because Stereo Review, right?, so we have to give the right merit have those magazynes.

I still read those magazynes and normally I do to be informed of the audio news and to learn what not do: because our each one know-how level we know when any reviewer is wrong ( it does not matters his entusiam for an item ) and through that " is wrong " we will know or confirm what not to do.
There are some reviews that provocate us laugh in their reviews that are a shame for the reviewers but unfortunatelly they are unaware about.

IMHO I think that some of the " top " reviewers have higher know how level on audio subjects that almost any one of us the problem is that they can't share that unvaluable/high value audio information because they are important part, as any of us, of the Audio High End Establishment ( AHEE. ) and have to protect it and have to protect it even if with the information they share with us in reality are given us a disinformation that unfortunatelly is what is happening today.

That not disclosed information and that disinformation is one of the reasons why the high end does not grow up faster.

IMHO all those magazyne reviewers are corrupted and IMHO are corrupted because on purpose are hidden value information for us customers and not only that are not disclosing information but at the same time they are given us disinformation, to these actions I name it: CORRUPTION, maybe with more damage to the customers than if they receive d " money " .

Why many audiophiles are running their systems with tube electronics? because is the best audio technology? certainly not but because was what the magazynes taught us in the past and we believe it in that way and trhough the time our ears are already equalized to that kind of electronics and it does not matters the damage level to the audio signal can do.

Why many of you own only top LOMC cartridges and no single MM/MI one?, because we learned that LOMC are the way to go and no one told us that exist other alternatives.

Why till some years ago almost all own BD TT instead DD ones? why till a few years ago almost all of us used tonearm with fixed headshell instead removable headshell designs? wy till some years ago alomost no one here used subwoofers in their systems? why.....? why.....? and why......?

We still live in the " error " thank's to those magazynes and through internet forums we were learning slowly for we can liberate for ever on those several " errors/myths/mistakes " with we are living in each one audio system.

The forums as this one ( Agon ) is the only today possibility to learn and grow up faster than the audio industry, is the only way to correct our system mistakes. We can't do it through those magazynes and this fact is a shame for those magazynes/reviewers because in theory those audio magazyne main target is to inform to inform true information teaching to us customers.

Don't blame magazynes and today maybe some of us have to blame our selfs to not learned enough to correct our " mistakes ".

The best new is that all of us can improve if we give an opportunity to learn a new opportunity to learn what not to do through magazynes and what to do through internet forums.

I think that no one can stop that AHEE overall corruption that touched almost all those reviewers. It's a way of living.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.
Rauliruegas, I enjoyed reading your post. You brought up some very good points.