When a Reviewer "likes" something

... what does that mean in your opinion. I read in one of the last Stereophile mags a comment from Mr. Atkinson where he wrote about the differences in "opinions" in forums or in printed mags. After all he ended with the argument, a component is good when a reviewer likes it.
Isn't is more helpful, when a reviewer knows something about a real tone reproduction? Or is it ok, when he used every month another CD or LP he got for free, a kind of music nearly no one wants to listen to?
Harry Pearson used in the 90's always the same records for his reviews but that was an exception I think.
What is it worth for you when - for example - Mr. Dudley/Fremer/Valin/HP .... "likes" something? Do you have the same "taste" they have?
I know it is possible to like a Turntable even when that unit can't hold the proper speed, or is extremely sensitive to any influences, there are endless recommendations written about such units...what is it worth for you?
Atkinson for example measures units, some have top datas but they can sound very boring, far away from the real thing, some have no top datas, some "tests" are shortened because a unit can reach a area which can be pretty dangerous (see one of the latest Agostino units, just as an example) but they are rated Class A in recommendations anyway....
When someone "knows" what is right or not, then his "liking" is only a personal opinion which is more or less uninteresting or?
Most customers (not all of course) would prefer to know what a unit is really able to do sonically, or not? Would knowledge destroy the joy of Hardware rolling? Or is there a reason why reviewers use low efficiency speakers when they have a tube amp for review (for example Lamm ML2.1/ML2.2 with Magico Speakers)? Is the matching "expensive + expensive" the proper way to show competence?
128x128syntax
The ads in the magazines are limited in information. so are many of the manufacturer's web sites. and how do you find the MSRP or the average resale price of an item? That brings us to reviews- a much more complete breakdown of data about a component, perhaps some helpful photos showing the back where the connections go, and some inside photos of the parts as well. Did the component work without any glitches? as far as how the reviewer's liked the sound, this is obviously very controversial. and even in 2013, $5000 is A LOT OF MONEY for an amplifier, and should put out plenty of power for most speakers, AND sound pretty darn good. heck, $2000 might be more than enough money to shell out for that matter. then there's cosmetics- it's dumb to read that the equipment looks amazing/elegant/sophisticated in person. i just want to know if it's well built certainly the top panel shouldn't rattle when you tap it...
i subscribe to both Stereophile and the AB Sound just to see what's out there.
having gone to some shows and demonstrations i like to see and hear what others that are going to them have to say. i must say i am partial to reviews of expensive gear as long as it's not so far out on the bell curve that common sense tells me to skip over "opinions" about how, in some sense, that stuff really is worth it... sure, like a car that goes 240mph that you drive to work in the city every day. it's big, it's beautiful, and it's...time to move on.
["We, 'the elderly', don't have to have a point, since you've dismissed our value."}

Assuming my statement could easily have as many different meanings to as many different people reading it I apologize for any offensive tone it may have cultivated. This was not my intention.

I was simply making a quick (clumsy) reference to the predominance of older males who have spent a lifetime of collecting LP's who support a large portion of the analog segment of the audio industry. Dismissed their value, on the contrary, this demographic holds the lion's share of potential spending value in the analog segment.

Even though I'm 64 years old and I just enjoyed longboarding a beautiful glassy four foot swell this morning there's no hiding I'm elderly. Its possible I've offended some because I'm naturally proud of my bountiful age were others are grumpy for letting it get by, life's true dumb asses.

You're not one of those, are you?
I took 3rd place in Senior Longboarding at the NY State surfing campionships...albeit 10 years ago when I was only 52, and consider myself part of the New Old. I'll be ripping around on my Triumph Bonneville T100 later today, playing guitar for hours, listening to my well tempered hifi, and later hitting an interesting restaurant with my hot attorney girlfriend. Young people can BITE ME.
Dear French fries, I think you stepped in it when you inferred that lots of dollars should buy lots of power "for most speakers". That reasoning is flawed on many levels. Still, I take your point that $5000 is a lot of money for an amplifier.

Dear Manitunc, Of course we don't expect reviewers to buy everything they review. It is expected that manufacturers will loan the equipment. That's all well and good, and if it takes 6 months or a year to review what was loaned, I think that's reasonable as well. However, rumor and hearsay have it that "some" equipment is never returned or paid for by "some" reviewers. Even that, if it is true, does not really bother me; it is a matter for manufacturers and reviewers to work out. The way in which such practices affect the review process is that it biases toward companies that are willing to "lend" equipment and then look the other way, in hopes that their investment in the loaned equipment will pay off in a favorable review.

I had a conversation with an Audiophile who buys ONLY units the Reviewer like and recommend.

Syntax: What do you think?
Audiophile: I don't think.
Syntax: Ok, I don't get it what they like or not ...
Audiophile: You don't get it because you care
Syntax: Right. And?
Audiophile: Man, you have to read BETWEEN the lines.
Syntax: Uh, I thought I buy a review that I can read what is going on?
Audiophile: That's your problem. They can't write what they don't like, they have to do it different.
Syntax: Ok. I will try to read between the lines now …
Audiophile: Good Boy.
Syntax: Is it possible that those „reviews“ are influenced from their wives?
Audiophile: Of course
Syntax: Does it matter when she is ugly?
Audiophile: Absolutely!
Syntax: Hm, what can I do?
Audiophile: Buy & Sell. After a while you are very experienced
Syntax: Aha, is there a way to reduce Hardware rolling?
Audiophile: Of course. Tell your wife how much money you alreday spent ....

Understanding And Enjoying Audio Reviews

When they say...
(They mean ...)

In spite of the measurement anomalies, this speaker is clearly
a state-of-the-art product.
( It didn't SOUND broken when we gave it our top rating )

It was definitely borderline Class A.
( It isn't that good, but it's sooo expensive,
and they're letting me keep it --- G-d I feel So cheap! )

Better than amps costing three times as much.
( I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I like the amp )

Light years ahead of the competition
( The competition won't give us a review sample )

Despite it's slight problems at the extremes, the products strong point
was it's rendition of the all-important midrange.
( This thing has no bass and treble that actually hurts! )

We hire only the best writers.
( We'll hire any audiophile who recognizes a pencil two out of three tries )

This is an incomplete but promising design from a talented young designer.
( The product sucks but he has some money left in his advertising budget )

This product had me pulling one record after another from my collection.
( I listened to all five of my records )

The images in the soundstage had that elusive and seductive sense of palatable presence
( I haven't had sex since my wife left me and I'm starting to hallucinate )

This product lacks some of the subtle refinements we've come expect from a designer of this caliber.
( The product stinks but we don't want to piss off this famous manufacturer )

Better than amps costing three times as much
( I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I like the amp )

This preamp is the new reference
( We aint giving it back, and we aint paying' for it either )