Is the Oppo-105 with Modwright modifications

As good as they say it is. I was talking to a dealer today and he said you can't have a state of the art product when you start with crap. He said the Saber DAC's were junk and I'd be wasting my money doing the Modwright upgrades. On the other hand I have heard people rave about it. What is your take on this player and the Modwright upgrades? Am I better off buying a high-end used CD player without a warranty. I like the Idea of a modded player but I don't want to be disappointed and take a big loss.
taters
Like Dsper, I recently purchased a fully modified OPPO-105D from Ric Schultz. It's easily the best sounding player that I've had in my 2-channel system for the past 22 years.
I no longer have need for a cd player, but I did finally have the opportunity to compare the Modwright versus the Exemplar moded Oppo 105s. I thought my Exemplar eXpo 105 was clearly more dynamic and detailed.
Tbg,
I am interested in more detailed response to the comparison between Modwright and Exemplar mods. I have Modrwright 105 and wonder how these two mods differ... just different sounding or one sounding better than other and by how much and in what ways? Which has better bass control? Are they tonally different? Which is more fuller and richer? Appreciate your response. Thanks.
Sstalwar, there are a number of things that I think explain the sonic differences between the Modwright and Exemplar mods of the Oppo. Foremost I think is the tube used in the amplifier output. The Modwright uses the 6SN7 tube and the Exemplar a Soviet tube derived from the 6922 family of tubes that is quite better than anything I heard in earlier versions of the Exemplar and clearly superior to the old 6SN7. This accounts for the tubier fat sound of the Modwright.

Second is the tube power supply of the Modwright versus the solid state ps of the Exemplar. This too adds to the slowness of the Modwright.

Finally the Exemplar costs $4750 versus $3695 for the Modwright if you buy an Oppo at the cheapest price I've seen. This allows for the more expensive tube, better caps, and FineMet beads to significantly lower the noise level on the Exemplar

If you have further questions, just look up Norm on audioasylum and ask.
I had been using an EVS modded Oppo 83SE for a few years, and was very pleased with the sound. I recently got upgraditis (of a sort), and bought an Oppo 105D. I set aside the 83SE and used the 105 for awhile. I generally enjoyed the sound, finding it neutral, detailed and dynamic; but on some music the treble was harsh, bright and glaring.

I had the 83 in my workplace system, which is significantly more humble than my home stereo, so the sound improved, but was nothing special. Soon after I got the 105, I upgraded my amplification and speakers. So the 105 has been in two different systems in my home.

I just sent my 105D to The Upgrade Company for his SE mods. I thought I'd try a different flavour. So I returned the 83SE to my home system in the interim. To my delight, the 83SE sounded better than the stock 105D in every area of sonic reproduction. In some cases, a lot better. This is a helluva nice-sounding player. I will be very happy if the Upgrade Company 105D is superior to the EVS-modded 83SE.

The long-winded point that I am attempting to make here is that, in my case, a Ric Shultz modified early Oppo player sounds way better than their stock newest creation.