Is the Oppo-105 with Modwright modifications

As good as they say it is. I was talking to a dealer today and he said you can't have a state of the art product when you start with crap. He said the Saber DAC's were junk and I'd be wasting my money doing the Modwright upgrades. On the other hand I have heard people rave about it. What is your take on this player and the Modwright upgrades? Am I better off buying a high-end used CD player without a warranty. I like the Idea of a modded player but I don't want to be disappointed and take a big loss.
taters

Showing 8 responses by tbg

Moomoo, I know a guy who has compared the Oppo 95 and 105 each with no mods. He much preferred the 95. Of course, this doesn't mean much about moded units.
Keephowlin, I have another mod. Oppo 105 and initially used the provided pc to the stock portion. I thought that the moded unit sounded very little better than the stock unit. BUT when I put an Exemplar charged Portal pc on, it was night and day. I cannot imagine why the pc would have such a negative impact or why Oppo would use it or exclude it if they could not do better.
Brownsfan, I have had no delays between tracks with my 105, either playing discs or from my music server. I have, however, not been able to get my USB connection to play higher than 96/24. It just clicks and does nothing.
Knghifi, no, I've only heard an Exemplar moded 95 and now the Exemplar moded 105. The 105 does just about everything and with the Exemplar tube output stage, the use as a dac for my music server sounds outstanding.
Dsper, I have heard Rick's unit and had not realize that I was hearing an Oppo 105. I will have to take my Exemplar/Oppo 105 up next time to compare.
Dsper, once again I forgot there are two Rick Schultz. I heard the Rick of High Fidelity Cables system.
I no longer have need for a cd player, but I did finally have the opportunity to compare the Modwright versus the Exemplar moded Oppo 105s. I thought my Exemplar eXpo 105 was clearly more dynamic and detailed.
Sstalwar, there are a number of things that I think explain the sonic differences between the Modwright and Exemplar mods of the Oppo. Foremost I think is the tube used in the amplifier output. The Modwright uses the 6SN7 tube and the Exemplar a Soviet tube derived from the 6922 family of tubes that is quite better than anything I heard in earlier versions of the Exemplar and clearly superior to the old 6SN7. This accounts for the tubier fat sound of the Modwright.

Second is the tube power supply of the Modwright versus the solid state ps of the Exemplar. This too adds to the slowness of the Modwright.

Finally the Exemplar costs $4750 versus $3695 for the Modwright if you buy an Oppo at the cheapest price I've seen. This allows for the more expensive tube, better caps, and FineMet beads to significantly lower the noise level on the Exemplar

If you have further questions, just look up Norm on audioasylum and ask.