Is the Oppo-105 with Modwright modifications

As good as they say it is. I was talking to a dealer today and he said you can't have a state of the art product when you start with crap. He said the Saber DAC's were junk and I'd be wasting my money doing the Modwright upgrades. On the other hand I have heard people rave about it. What is your take on this player and the Modwright upgrades? Am I better off buying a high-end used CD player without a warranty. I like the Idea of a modded player but I don't want to be disappointed and take a big loss.
taters
Jwm,

Do you currently have the Oppo 105 modded? I would like to find someone that has this unit so I could listen to it. Preferably in my system. Of course I would be ok hearing it somewhere else if need be. I just don't want to do a crap shoot in the dark. I would be a lot more comfortable hearing it first. I have talked to the people at Modwright and they are very nice.

If someone in Southern California would let me audition this unit I would be happy to pay you for you're time.
I hear you Taters, I am just exhausted with budget digital and want to step up but I've got to hear first, no shots in the dark if I'm going to lay out more money. I want to hear first preferably in my system but any familiar system would give me some idea. Otherwise I would probably look at a used unit to minimize loss if things don't work out.

Jwm, you also had the Modwrighted Sony SCD-XA5400ES and Oppo 95 correct? It seems you felt the same about the Modwright Oppo 95 in comparing it to the Playback and other high end, cost no object designs. How would you compare the Modwright Oppo 95 to the Modwright Oppo 105. Are there any notable differences, improvements in sonics and design in your opinion? I have had my eyes on the Modwright Oppo 95 for quite a while and is high on my list of "must hear first" but STILL haven't had the opportunity to actually hear one. Now we have the 105 and you may be one of the few on these forums that has owned them both it seems. I live in Florida but don't know anyone with a Modwright. I was in touch with Dan a while back about some units in the Sunshine State but never heard back from him, too busy I suppose.
fwiw, i've not heard the 105 w/ modwright mods. but my modwright 5400 is a wonderful player, and i do not regret for one moment having bought it. its in a reference rig (if you'd call my rig reference-caliber).
that said, when i compared it to the K01 and the P02/D02 by esoteric (i reviewed the latter), they were handily better. sorry JWM, it wasn't close. while i'd have never traded the MW5400 for the X-series players, the K01& P/D02 esoteric players are amazing (i've not heard the K03 or lower). so lets not pretend the MW is the best out there; its just a remarkable performer for the $$, and tough to improve on without throwing in another $10k...
Taters
You ask if you'd be better off buying a used CD player
I guess if you don't need or want DVD-A, SACD, Bluray audio or a Dac a used CD player may be the ticket for you
I just ordered the EVS modded Oppo 105
Will let you know how it does against my Ayon CD-2 and my EasterN Electric mini max plus
Regards
Taters go to the Audiocircle website and look up modright and then Oppo 105. There you will see my comparison to the 95 and 105. I am in Michigan so you are welcome anytime. Abruce I never heard an EVS mod so I can't comment.